In this position you will be reporting to the Day Shift Supervisor. As the Machine Shop Technician -- Grinder, you will be responsible for internal and external grinding of large diameter chrome plated surfaces.
- Studies blueprint or layout on work piece to visualize grinding to be done, and plans sequence of operations.
- Selects grinding wheel and secures it on spindle.
- Dresses wheel with dressing device.
- Lifts work piece and positions and secures work piece to holding device.
- Selects feed rates, grinding speeds, depth of cuts, and grinding wheel of size, shape, and grade for each operation.
- Positions and tightens stops to limit travel of work pieces or grinding wheel.
- Moves controls to position wheel and work piece in relation to each other, and to set feed, speed, and depth of cut.
- Starts machine, turns hand wheel to feed grinding wheel to work piece or vice versa, and engages power feeding device.
- Verifies dimensions of ground work pieces for conformance to specifications.
- Works to tight tolerances.
- Measures, marks, and scribes work piece to lay it out for grinding.
- Dresses grinding wheels to complex profiles.
- Minimum Grade 12 diploma along with 2 years previous experience
- Knowledge of machine shop practices, turning, milling, with an emphasis on grinding.
- Ability to work to close tolerances and sound understanding of blueprint reading and all associated measuring equipment.
- Minimum 40 week machine shop course, or equivalent.
- Blueprint reading, understanding of applicable measuring equipment a must.
- Must be willing to work the day shift (Monday to Friday 7am to 3pm)
Collins Aerospace Systems is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates during all aspects of the selection process.