The Hiscox Miami War, Terrorism and Political Violence team is the lead market in Latin America in its product line.
The Hiscox Miami office is a high volume and fast-paced environment where team members take a hands-on approach in delivering year on year success. The ethos of the office is one which encourages challenging convention, rewarding individual initiative and pulling together to deliver success.
Hiscox Miami is currently searching for a diligent and focused (Trainee) Underwriter in Miami to primarily handle the renewal portfolio. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to be given responsibility and an opportunity to make a difference, who has pride in their work and can handle detail. It is also an appointment where there will be plenty of opportunity to improve knowledge and skills in a highly respected (re)insurance company. You will be expected meet agreed service standards and key performance objectives.
- To work within an overall sales plan to meet headline targets handling War, Terrorism and Political Violence renewal business for facultative reinsurance brokers in Miami, as well as in Latin America.
- Achieve renewal retention targets and underwrite business profitably in a volume environment
- Maintain and develop existing relationships with regional brokers and contacts
- Work towards getting renewal and endorsement Underwriting Authority after an initial period of consultation
- Underwrite, price and negotiate accounts consistent with the quality of the risk and according to the company’s strategy and guidelines; mainly focused on renewal (existing) and endorsement business
- To maintain compliance with the adopted rules, working procedures and other forms of best practice
- Maintain excellent service standards
- Work on other projects, as assigned
- 0-2 years of experience in a corporate setting; preferably in a critically thinking support role; (re)insurance experience is ideal, although recent college graduates are welcome
- Must be proficient in Spanish and English, Portuguese would be a plus
- High levels of energy and enthusiasm
- Strong organizational, numerical and analytical skills
- Excellent influencing, negotiation, written and verbal communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external customers, including brokers
- High levels of integrity, courage and desire to go the extra mile in the pursuit of team success
- Be able to adhere to the appropriate regulatory requirements
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook) and Internet application
Hiscox ValuesAt Hiscox our spirit is in Challenging Convention and everything we do is guided by our Values.
- Courage: Dare to take a risk
- Human: Clear, fair & inclusive
- Ownership: Passionate, commercial & accountable
- Integrity: Do the right thing, however hard
- Connected: Together, build something better
What Hiscox USA Offers
- Competitive salary and bonus (based on personal & company performance)
- Comprehensive health insurance, Vision, Dental and FSA
- 401(k) with competitive company matching
- 24 Paid time off days
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Paid sabbaticals after 10 years of service
- Dynamic, creative and values-driven culture
- Modern and open office spaces, complimentary fruit and drinks
- Spirit of volunteerism, social responsibility and community involvement, including matching charitable donations for qualifying non-profits via our sister non-profit company, the Hiscox USA Foundation
About HiscoxAs an international specialist insurer we are far removed from the world of mass market insurance products. Instead we are selective and focus on our key areas of expertise and strength - all of which is underpinned by a culture that encourages us to challenge convention and always look for a better way of doing things.
We insure the unique and the interesting. And we search for the same when it comes to talented people. Hiscox is full of smart, reliable human beings that look out for customers and each other. We believe in doing the right thing, making good and rebuilding when things go wrong. Everyone is encouraged to think creatively, challenge the status quo and look for solutions.
Scratch beneath the surface and you will find a business that is solid, but slightly contrary. We like to do things differently and constantly seek to evolve. We might have been around for a long time (our roots go back to 1901), but we are young in many ways, ambitious and going places. Some people might say insurance is dull, but life at Hiscox is anything but. If that sounds good to you, get in touch.
About Hiscox USHiscox USA was established in 2006 to focus primarily on the needs of small and middle market commercial clients, via both the broker and direct distribution channels and is today the fastest-growing business unit within the Hiscox Group.
Today, Hiscox USA has a talent force of about 420 employees mostly operating out of 6 major cities - New York, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Hiscox USA offers a broad portfolio of commercial products, including technology, cyber & data risk, multiple professional liability lines, media, entertainment, management liability, crime, kidnap & ransom, commercial property and terrorism.
Diversity and flexible working at HiscoxAt Hiscox we care about our people. We hire the best people for the job and we’re committed to diversity and creating a truly inclusive culture, which we believe drives success. We also understand that working life doesn’t always have to be ‘nine to five’ and we support flexible working wherever we can. No promises, but please chat to our resourcing team about the flexibility we could offer for this role.
You can follow Hiscox on LinkedIn, Glassdoor and Instagram (@HiscoxInsurance)