Job ID 313056BR
Position Title Human Genetics Computational Biologist
Job Description1 billion people worldwide are affected by neurological diseases. The Neuroscience team at Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is seeking a computational biologist to join us to help develop therapies for patients with debilitating neurodegenerative, psychiatric, and neurodevelopmental disorders. You will work closely with members of the Neuroscience team and other groups within NIBR to identify new genetic targets and biomarkers, and to stratify patient populations, utilizing both external and internal datasets. The successful candidate will be highly motivated, creative, and collaborative.
Your Key Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Providing statistical genetics expertise for target identification using current statistical genetics methods, such as: GWAS, MR, TWAS, PRS, and eQTL / pQTL analyses
- Supporting neuroscience drug discovery and early target discovery with data mining efforts
- Participating in biomarker discovery collaborations
- Clearly communicating key findings through interactive data visualizations and presentations
- Contributing to the human genetics community across the organization
- Developing and leading new projects
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Minimum requirementsWhat you’ll bring to the role:
- PhD or equivalent experience in statistics, genetics, bioinformatics, biostatistics, computational biology, data science or related field
- Experience analyzing and interpreting human population genetics data is a must
- Familiarity with the analysis of large biobank data is a plus
- Experience with additional ‘omics data (RNA sequencing, epigenetics, proteomics) and NGS data is preferred
- A curiosity for emerging technologies and an ability to learn new methods and approaches as needed
- A strong publication record
- Proficiency in Python and/or R programming languages
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Why Consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine What You Could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Business Unit NEUROSCIENCE
Site Cambridge, MA
Company/Legal Entity NIBRI
Functional Area Data Science
Job Type Full Time
Employment Type Regular
Shift Work No