The Civil Society Engagement (CSE) team considers civil society a key driver of change. For this reason, we work closely with them at headquarters, providing strategic, analytical, and operational support to their engagement at local, regional and transnational levels relevant to all DRC-operations. At the CSE we also implement global civil society engagement projects and spearheads the DRC's long-standing engagement with diaspora communities across Europe.
Why diaspora communities?
Since 2010, DRC, engaged directly with different diaspora actors to facilitate and strengthen their constructive engagement in countries of origin, transit and residence. We believe that diaspora actors are vital in humanitarian assistance, recovery and development in their countries of origin. In most cases, they also play a critical role in both resilience strategies and community first response measures, as they have the capacity to rapidly mobilise assistance, channel information and advocate in times of crisis. Currently, the Diaspora Programme within the Civil Society Engagement team hosts five different projects, touching on several thematic areas and across multiple geographies, such as Afghanistan, Somalia, Ukraine, etc. Find out more
About the internship
You will be part of the Civil Society Engagement unit and will assist the Diaspora Programme project teams in relevant communication aspects.
As an intern, you will carry out tasks related to both DRC's external and internal communication. Your responsibilities include : planning, writing and editing written documents, research studies and project reports, as well as promoting them and the relevant events through digital platforms. The following tasks will be part of your responsibilities:
Management of CSEU communication platforms:
- Manage digital channels and social media platforms, for the Civil Society Engagement team and the Diaspora Programme projects, such as Facebook, Insite or webpage.
- Support and update the communication plan and strategy to ensure the continuous engagement of diaspora organizations and humanitarian agencies on the team’s digital and non-digital platforms.
- Research and edit relevant and timely posts, stories and articles about the work and impact of diasporas as civil society actors for social media channels by using inclusive language.
- Develop, produce and implement creative campaigns and content in various formats, including writing copies, design and brainstorming ideas for videos, photos, infographics, reports and social media, using design programmes such as InDesign. Always in the line with the Corporate Identity of DRC.
- Plan and disseminate reports and research studies, to extract the respective key-messages to reach relevant target groups through media platforms. Also, find new ways of reaching the audience through digital platforms.
Support the CSE team on communication around conferences, workshops and events:
- Prepare, post, and disseminate notices for events.
- Support the organization of meetings and appointments; produce and distribute minutes of meetings.
- Be aware of the updates in the team every month to distribute the news internally in the organization.
We offer flexibility in the type of tasks, so you also have the possibility to influence the tasks, subject to what is relevant for your study programme.
To be successful in this role we expect you to be pursuing a master’s
degree in Communication Studies, Multimedia Design and Communications, PR, Journalism, and alike, with an interest and/or experience in the humanitarian field.
Students pursuing a graduate level degree in Development Studies, Political Science, International Relations, or other related social science studies with experience and interest in the areas of communication, social media, design and digital communication are also strongly encouraged to apply.
All employees and interns in DRC should master DRC's core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity. Furthermore, we also expect you to:
- Support the team in creating innovative content for digital and social media channels to address different target groups.
- Some interest in graphic design and content production for digital platforms is an added value.
- Have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be able to work independently as well as in a team.
- Be able to work systematically with a good structure for the tasks that you are responsible for.
- Have an eye for detail and strive to get the job done in a challenging environment.
- Be fluent in spoken and written English.
It is a requirement that you are enrolled in a university in order to be considered for the internship.
Contract length: 4-6 months subject to study requirements and further dialogue
Workplace: DRC Headquarters located Borgergade 10, Copenhagen
Start date: around start or mid-February. We can be flexible on the start date but prefer if you join no later than 20 February 2023 so that you can participate in our introduction programme for all new interns
Working hours: Approximately 30 hours per week, subject to study requirements and further dialogue. We offer flexibility when you have study obligations next to the internship.
The internship is not paid but we offer:
- 2,08 (unpaid) vacation days per month. The days can either be spent as you earn them or be accumulated
- Free lunch in our canteen (subject to our canteen being open)
- Free participation in our winter/summer party.
Please note that if you do not have the right to work in Denmark (through nationality or existing work visa), you will need to apply for it if selected for the internship.
All applicants must send a cover letter, an updated CV in English as well as documentation that you are enrolled in a university. If you are applying for more than one internship with DRC, please indicate so in your cover letter. Apply online on our page Current Vacancies at www.drc.ngo.
Closing date for applications: 20 November 2022. We expect to conduct interviews end November/start December in our headquarters in Borgergade or via Teams.
For questions regarding the internship please contact DRC Communication Specialist, Monika Grinschgl: and/or DRC Head of Diaspora Programme Raphaël Capony:
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website .
For further information about the DRC Diaspora Programme, please consult our s.