DRC is a non-profit organisation that works worldwide to help and protect refugees, internally displaced and other conflict-affected persons. DRC is looking for an intern who will get the opportunity to work with a broad range of internal communication activities, e.g. by writing stories targeted our global workforce, creating graphics or videos on internal campaigns and assisting at global events and with intranet improvements.
About the internship
The intern will be based in DRC’s internal communications team and have a close cooperation with our colleagues in the support offices in Headquarter and in the organisation’s five core humanitarian sectors: Protection, Economic Recovery, Humanitarian Disarmament & Peacebuilding, Shelter & Settlements, Camp Coordination & Camp Management.
Hence the intern will get the opportunity to become acquainted with the work within an international NGO and how to communicate effectively about it. The intern will be given the possibility to work independently with different tasks that are related to their line of study and will participate in one week of induction with the opportunity to gain a better understanding of the different teams and departments within DRC.
DRC offers the intern the opportunity to:
- Gain experience working for an international NGO;
- Work independently with different tasks related to communications and other tasks relevant to the intern’s profile;
- Learn how to work professionally with internal communication in an international organisation
- Be a part of a dynamic house with many relations to our countries and regions.
The intern will be supporting colleagues while gaining valuable working experience.
The intern will be working alongside other DRC colleagues on matters concerning internal communications.
The intern is expected to:
- Participate in content meetings
- Plan and create content for internal channels – text, video, graphics etc.
- Research on stories from our country operations
- Communicate with field offices to gather stories, interviews and photographs that can both be used for internal and external communication
- Gather and edit staff portraits from our country operations together with your colleagues
- Contribute to the news flow on and development of a global intranet (based on MS Sharepoint)
- Help organise meetings and events as well as produce and distribute minutes of meetings
- Work closely together with the communications student worker.
The intern will work both individually and together with other colleagues. The intern should be able to meet the following requirements:
- Be enlisted at a university for a relevant education at master’s level (this is a prerequisite for the internship);
- Be fluent in both written and spoken English (professional proficiency in Danish, French or Spanish is an advantage but not a requirement);
- Be effective in the use of MS Office and preferably MS 365;
- Be creative and have journalistic skills;
- Have good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Be able to work independently as well as in a team;
- Be able to work systematically with a good structure for the tasks that you are responsible for;
- Have an eye for detail and strive to get the job done.
The intern should be pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Communications, Media Relations, Journalism Development Studies, Political Science, International Relations, Migration studies or other related social science studies. Students with interest in journalism, video or other communication areas will have an advantage.
Contract length: 4-6 months subject to study requirements and further dialogue
Workplace: DRC Headquarters located Borgergade 10, Copenhagen
Start date: 1 February 2023. We can be flexible on the start date but prefer if you join in beginning of February so that you can participate in our introduction programme for all new interns
Working hours: Approximately 30 hours per week, subject to study requirements and further dialogue. We offer flexibility when you have study obligations next to the internship.
The internship is not paid but we offer:
- 2,08 (unpaid) vacation days per month. The days can either be spent as you earn them or be accumulated
- Free lunch in our canteen (subject to our canteen being open)
- Free participation in our summer party
Please note that if you do not have the right to work in Denmark (through nationality or existing work visa), you will need to apply for it if selected for the internship.
All applicants must send a cover letter, an updated CV in English as well as documentation that you are enrolled in a university. If you are applying for more than one internship with DRC, please indicate so in your cover letter. Apply online on our page Current Vacancies at www.drc.ngo.
Closing date for applications: 8 December 2022. We expect to conduct interviews in week 50.
For questions regarding the internship please contact Marianne Smedegaard Hansen, [email protected]
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website .