You will be part of the Legislation Division in the Directorate General Legal Services. In your role as a trainee lawyer-linguist, you will be part of a team of 40 members of staff responsible for preparing legal acts of the ECB in the official languages of the EU, reviewing legal texts for legal, linguistic and terminological consistency and maintaining a legal terminology database.
The Division also provides advice and expertise for the preparation of ECB supervisory decisions within the Single Supervisory Mechanism and is involved in drafting and reviewing such decisions. It contributes to the delivery of large projects and the implementation of common policies in the area of banking supervision. The Division is also responsible for publishing and disseminating the ECB’s legal framework and other legal publications.
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply, irrespective of your gender, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability or other characteristics.
As a trainee Slovenian Lawyer-Linguist you will:
- translate draft ECB legal acts and other legal documents from English into Slovenian;
- revise Slovenian translations of ECB legal acts and other legal documents;
- translate legal texts from Slovenian into English for internal working purposes, and revise translations from Slovenian into English of national laws and other legal documents;
- contribute to the drafting of ECB legal acts;
- carry out legal research related to legislative drafting and in areas relevant to the ECB’s activities as a central bank and banking supervisor;
- contribute, as required, to the work of the Legislation Division as a whole.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to contribute to the quality of ECB legal acts. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a degree in Slovenian law from a Slovenian university; if this is only the first-level degree (diplomirani pravnik (UN)/diplomirana pravnica (UN)), current enrolment in a programme working towards a master’s degree, or higher, in law;
- a demonstrable interest in legal translation;
- a mastery-level command of Slovenian;
- an advanced-level command of English;
- working knowledge of standard MS Office applications (e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- good knowledge of EU law;
- basic knowledge of EU and Slovenian banking and financial law;
- a qualification in modern languages and/or translation;
- experience in legal translation;
- at least an intermediate-level command of one or more other official EU languages in addition to Slovenian and English.
You are curious and eager to learn and want to further develop your ability to analyse complex information. You are keen to collaborate with others, pursue team goals and learn from other people’s diverse perspectives. You strive to know and anticipate stakeholder needs, and will signal any need for change and propose alternative solutions.
The recruitment process for this position may include a legal translation test and a telephone interview.
Application and selection process
Apply via the "Apply Now" button.
For further information on how to join us, read more.