Job Description - DevOps Engineer (19WD33965)
DevOps Engineer19WD33965Americas-United States of America-All Regions-All Cities
Location: San Francisco, CA- United States
Job ID: 19WD33965
Position OverviewPlanGrid is looking for a DevOps/Infrastructure Engineer to join our rapidly growing Data Center Operations team. The Data Center Operations team ensures infrastructure uptime, as well as the provisioning and management of AWS cloud resources for PlanGrid engineers.
A big part of our job is enabling developers to have visibility into their service’s performance by means of metrics, traces, and logging. Our growing team handles complex architectural projects to allow us to grow internationally, such as datacenter-level regional disaster recovery and eventually implementing self-healing infrastructure across many AWS regions. In the last year, we’ve transitioned the company over to self-hosted Kubernetes from a legacy Heroku architecture, built high-availability and resiliency around database clusters through teardown infrastructure testing, written a Fluent daemon set to log all activity in our customer-facing pods in Kubernetes, implemented Go-based autoscalers for our EC2 instances, and contributed upstream to Spinnaker’s codebase. We adhere to a DevOps methodology (as opposed to old-school operations) where developers -- not operations people -- are responsible for their code’s reliable operation and where developers are empowered and trusted to make the changes necessary for reliability. Our work touches every layer of infrastructure, so we are looking for engineers with a broad range of operations and development experience, especially people who define success in terms of SLOs, SLIs, and SLAs, who care deeply about observability in distributed systems, and who have experience scaling out cloud systems to multiple regions worldwide.
- Maintain/upgrade our Spinnaker + Kubernetes CI/CD pipeline, and the tooling that makes it all work, in a sane and reproducible way
- Automate infrastructure deployments with CloudFormation and SaltStack to help us go multi-AWS region
- Build observability into every aspect of our production infrastructure
- Participate in on-call rotations and be a model of how to manage incidents
- Reduce RPO/RTO for our S3, RDS, Redis, MongoDB, etcd and PostgreSQL instances
- In your first 6 months on the team, you will:
- Build and roll out a new data center in the APAC region
- Help automate a multi-region datacenter failover with as little customer downtime as possible
- Move us closer to a world of rigorously tested immutable infrastructure, where all infrastructure is tested before it ever gets deployed
- Programmatically make secrets management painless and easy across distributed services
- Improve observability with distributed tracing for all requests from client to CDN to load balancer to cluster and back again
- Help developers smoke-test better by bringing canary analysis and automated scale testing into their world
- DevOps and systems experience is highly valued; If you’ve gotten your hands dirty with package and configuration management, infrastructure-as-code principles, Kubernetes, AWS, Linux and security, PostgreSQL replication, and know your way around Docker, bash and Python, we’d love to talk with you
- You should be passionate about getting in front of problems instead of waiting until things are on fire. If you dream of stability, love metrics, communicate well, document your code, and love building reliable systems that hum along and take care of themselves, we want you on our team
About AutodeskWith Autodesk software, you have the power to Make Anything. The future of making is here, bringing with it radical changes in the way things are designed, made, and used. It's disrupting every industry: architecture, engineering, and construction; manufacturing; and media and entertainment. With the right knowledge and tools, this disruption is your opportunity. Our software is used by everyone - from design professionals, engineers and architects to digital scientists, students and hobbyists. We constantly explore new ways to integrate all dimensions of diversity across our employees, customers, partners, and communities. Our ultimate goal is to expand opportunities for anyone to imagine, design, and make a better world.
At Autodesk, we're building a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture to give more people the chance to imagine, design, and make a better world. Autodesk is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We also consider for employment all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
To all recruitment agencies: Autodesk does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Autodesk will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Autodesk, Inc.