Distinguished Machine Learning EngineerLocation New York, New York; Cambridge, Massachusetts; McLean, Virginia; Plano, Texas; Richmond, Virginia; San Francisco, California
Save Job ID R113341Updated date 05/24/2021
11 West 19th Street (22008), United States of America, New York, New YorkDistinguished Machine Learning Engineer
At Capital One, we believe that machine learning represents the biggest opportunity in financial services today, and is a chance to revolutionize the industry. Capital One’s commitment to machine learning has sponsorship from the CEO, the Board of Directors, and the executive committee of the company. The Center for Machine Learning is at the heart of this effort, and is leading the way towards building responsible and impactful tools, platforms, and solutions that leverage ML.
As a Capital One Machine Learning Engineer, you’ll be providing technical leadership to engineering teams dedicated to productionizing machine learning applications and systems at scale. You’ll participate in the detailed technical design, development, and implementation of machine learning applications using existing and emerging technology platforms. You’ll serve as a technical domain expert in machine learning, guiding machine learning architectural design decisions, developing and reviewing model and application code, and ensuring high availability and performance of our machine learning applications. You’ll have the opportunity to continuously learn and apply the latest innovations and best practices in machine learning engineering. You’ll also mentor other engineers and further develop your technical knowledge and skills to keep Capital One at the cutting edge of technology.
What you’ll do in the role:
- Deliver ML models and software components that solve challenging business problems in the financial services industry, working in collaboration with the Product, Architecture, Engineering, and Data Science teams.
- Drive the creation and evolution of ML models and software that enable state-of-the-art intelligent systems.
- Lead large-scale ML initiatives with the customer in mind.
- Leverage cloud-based architectures and technologies to deliver optimized ML models at scale.
- Optimize data pipelines to feed ML models.
- Use programming languages like Python, Scala, C/C++.
- Leverage compute technologies such as Dask and RAPIDS
- Evangelize best practices in all aspects of the engineering and modeling lifecycles.
- Help recruit, nurture, and retain top engineering talent.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 10 years of experience designing and building data-intensive solutions using distributed computing.
- At least 6 years of experience programming in C, C++, Python, or Scala.
- At least 3 years of experience with the full ML development lifecycle using modern technology in a business critical setting.
- At least 2 years of experience using Dask, RAPIDS, or in High Performance Computing
- At least 2 years of experience with the PyData ecosystem (NumPy, Pandas, and Scikit-learn)
- Master’s or doctoral degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics, or a similar field.
- At least 3 years of experience designing, implementing, and scaling production-ready data pipelines that feed ML models.
- At least 8 years of experience within a large/data-intensive multi-line business environment.
- Experience partnering with technology peers responsible for data architecture and distributed computing infrastructure/platforms.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts clearly to a variety of audiences.
- ML industry impact through conference presentations, papers, blog posts, or open source contributions.
- Ability to attract and develop high-performing software engineers with an inspiring leadership style.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position. No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One’s recruiting process, please send an email to
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Who We AreAt Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good. To Search Results