Position OverviewAs the Manager, Employee Benefits you are the team leader of the Employee Benefits Team. The Employee Benefits Team serves as the main point of contact to our U.S. employees. Together with three full-time direct reports and an intern, you provide excellent customer service support for all employee benefit programs offered to Penguin Random House, BMG, Fremantle, Arvato, Bertelsmann Corporate, and employee at our other operating companies. This person also leads the team that supports the leave of absence and disability process. They will also coordinate with benefit vendors to resolve escalated issues. They will also research and resolve any escalated employee questions that arise. You are also responsible for assisting former employees with retiree medical, retiree life insurance, and pension benefits. In addition, you will work closely with the entire HR-Benefits Team on organizational initiatives, such as annual enrollment. The Manager, Employee reports to the Senior Vice President, Human Resources.
The Employee Benefits Manager is part of the HR-Benefits Team, which has the responsibility of developing, negotiating, and customizing the health, welfare, and retirement programs for each of Bertelsmann's U.S. operating Companies within the United States, including Penguin Random House, BMG, Fremantle, Arvato Systems and other holdings/groups, including new acquisitions. The Employee Benefits Manager is expected to possess a wealth of knowledge and understanding of Employee Benefits at an employee-facing and corporate level.
Role and Responsibilities
- Manage a team that supports U.S. employees with benefit issues, including medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, leaves of absences, voluntary benefits, pension, 401(k), and other company-provided benefits and services
- Support the annual enrollment process, implementation of new vendors, and onboarding for employees of acquired companies
- Respond to a high daily volume of phone, email, and face-to-face inquiries and assist current and former employees with resolving benefit-related questions
- Research and provide guidance to your team to resolve issues and serve as the point of contact for escalated cases.
- Identify and create team operational procedures to ensure all individuals receive consistent and complete support in an efficient manner
- Research, interpret, and provide employee’s guidance on established benefit policies and procedures
- Resolve administrative problems with the carrier representatives, investigate discrepancies, and provide information in non-routine situations
- Draft and coordinate the distribution of communications for ad hoc participant issues, present and facilitate benefits orientations for annual enrollment and new hire orientations
- Partner and collaborate with HRIS, Corporate Benefits, HR Business partners, and external vendors to resolve enrollment, eligibility, enrollment, and claims issues
- Ensure proper document retention in accordance with statutory and internal business practices
- Other duties as assigned to meet business needs
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 7 or more years of work experience in benefits required, including 2 or more in a management role
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience required; CEBS certification preferred
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized, and be comfortable working on complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation
- Solid interpersonal skills, judgment, and client service orientation with focus on high quality service to internal and external stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate information across a large organization.
- Must be flexible; have the ability to work independently or as a team player in a fast-paced and decentralized environment
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, including VLOOKUP and Pivot Tables, and other Office applications
- Must maintain strict confidentiality and employee privacy
Bertelsmann is a media, services and education company that operates in about 50 countries around the world. Its key geographical markets are Western Europe – especially Germany, France, Britain and Spain – as well as the United States. Bertelsmann’s corporate divisions include RTL Group (television), Penguin Random House (books), Gruner + Jahr (magazines), Arvato (services), Bertelsmann Printing Group (print), Bertelsmann Education Group and Bertelsmann Investments.
Bertelsmann, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer who values a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, citizenship, HIV/AIDS status or any other legally protected factor.