Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (VWGoA) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, one of the world’s leading automobile manufacturers and the largest carmaker in Europe. Founded in 1955, VWGoA headquarters are in Herndon, VA, in addition to several facilities across the US. VWGoA brings vehicles to the US that marry the science of engineering and the art of styling, with the goal of offering attractive, safe automobiles that are competitive and set world standards in their respective classes.
At VWGoA we’re all about the ride. For our employees, Volkswagen is an expression of who they are and how they move through life. Be a part of the VWGoA experience and work with people who are passionate, innovative, enthusiastic team players, and high performers.
The purpose of the Packaging Specialist is to plan and execute packaging for Volkswagen and Audi service parts for Volkswagen Group of America (VWGoA). This includes coordinating the efforts of team members, suppliers, third party service providers or other departments in order to deliver results. The individual will ensure that the specific needs of the Parts Logistics department can be met by operating as a cross-functional partner with the Purchasing and Procurement departments as well as the PDC/RDC network. In addition to acting as a cross-functional partner with departments within VWGoA, this individual will act as the primary contact with vendors supplying packaging materials and services. This role will also support the strategic business goals of the Parts Logistics department.
- Ensure that packaging for finished goods combines optimum protection of product, logistics ergonomics and marketing presentation, while aligning with Volkswagen Group global standards and minimizing costs.
- Remain current on trends in the packaging industry to ensure that VWGoA is taking advantage of innovations that can increase service levels or decrease costs.
- Using feedback from multiple sources (PDC’s, RDC’s, dealers, export affiliates, vendors, contract packager, etc.) continuously improve packaging quality and cost.
- Support the efforts of Parts Logistics to reduce damage on all parts.
- Ensure that packaging for dangerous goods / Hazmat meets all standards for domestic and export shipments by truck, rail, air, and sea cargo.
- Establish and oversee process for packaging approval for parts suppliers and contract packager(s).
- Communicate packaging specifications to VWGoA stakeholders through maintenance of data is SAP system.
- Identify potential sources for packaging materials as well as service providers.
- Assist in development and execution of a Quality Assurance (QA) process to ensure that parts are being received in approved packaging and implement action plans to address situations where specifications are not met.
- Establish / optimize standard operating procedures that accommodate all Parts Logistics process requirements for packaging definition.
- Create and update all training documentation as required.
Strategy – 40%
- Manage work according to Parts Logistics Strategic projects, priority list, and assist Parts Management team with insuring the achievement of agreed upon objectives.
- Work with transportation department and procurement team to develop decision methodology for packaging flow (Supplier packaged vs. contract packaging) for all new materials.
- Develop and support the implementation of systems, processes and methods to help the Organization meet or exceed critical targets.
- Interface with Purchasing and Controller to manage budget for all packaging related issues.
- Work with Parts Business Owners and other functional work groups to insure integration and approval of proposed changes to ET-2000 as well as the prioritization of such changes.
- Actively participate in strategic discussion as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) to provide on-going advice to process stakeholders in order to help achieve solid work processes.
Leadership – 20%
- Utilize project management skills in working with multiple team members to manage timelines in achieving desired tasks.
- Set and continually manage expectations with other team members and other process stakeholders.
- Delegate appropriate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Support continuous improvement efforts of the business by researching and initiating new process and systems enhancements.
- Represent Parts Logistics in various cross functional meetings.
- Help business users accept change by communication and leading by example.
- As required, lead transition team for sourcing of new contracts.
Education:Bachelor’s Degree (Packaging or Supply Chain Mgmt) required, Master's Degree preferred.
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills
- Analytical thinking
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication skills
- Computer savvy
- Conceptual thinking
- Influencing skills
- Problem solving
- Resource management
- Project management
Specialized Skills (required):
- Strong Excel, and PowerPoint skills
- Strong Presentation Skills
- Ability to validate and interpret large quantities of data
- Familiarity with networking and file transfer methodologies
Specialized Skills (desired):
- 3 years related SAP experience on large scale projects
- 5 years Business Process Knowledge of POP, WOP and SOP business processes
- Strong functional and technical knowledge of ET-2000 or similar architecture
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
United States-Michigan-Auburn Hills