At Future we share our knowledge and experience to make it easier and more fun for others to do what they want. That applies to everyone we work with: from our audience, as we help them pursue their interests or make the right purchasing decisions, to our advertisers, as we help reach and engage their target audiences, and even our colleagues as we work together to get things done in a fun and vibrant environment.
The BrandFuture is the market-leading publisher of photography content in print and runs the UK’s leading photography consumer/professional event, The Photography Show. Digitally, our photography print brands already have significant social and newsletter audiences, while photography buying advice and how-to content exists online as a channel of the UK’s leading consumer technology site, TechRadar.com.
The new website launch will use content from Future’s market-leading photography brands as well as hosting new editorial. It will have a remit to cover imaging in all its forms, from DSLR cameras and peripherals, to photo-editing, mobile photography, Instagram, Drone photography, and video capture.
The RoleWe’re looking for an experienced editor to launch and then lead a new photography website. Reporting to the Editorial Director, Media Brands, the editor will be the lead for the brand online, as well as through social channels and email newsletters.
It will be the editor’s responsibility to ensure that the brand delivers content on a daily basis that connects with its audience of consumers and clients, and drives growth of the site’s audience and profitability.
The editor will be the key point of contact for all other relevant internal teams, including commercial, events, media services, and editors of the related print brands.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for an editorial leader to launch and run a new site, with the aim to rapidly build it into a significant global brand in terms of both commercial and audience metrics.
The TeamThe Editor will initially have a contribs budget, and work closely with the editorial director, editors and teams of Future’s photography print brands and technology websites, and other internal stakeholders, to populate the site in accordance with the agreed content strategy.
The editor will help shape a content strategy that resurfaces existing content, as well as identifying those new areas and content types that will require production of original content. This new content will be commissioned by, or generated by, the editor.
Key role responsibilities
- Being the editorial lead for the new photography website brand
- Accountable for the editorial strategy, making full use of the connectivity between digital, events, and print.
- Delivering best in class editorial that’s right for the audience, and delivers against traffic expectations
- Navigating the fine line between what’s right for the audience and what’s right for the business
- Own, be accountable for, and drive on the site’s e-commerce activity, working closely with Future’s ecommerce team to execute the strategy
- Develop new editorial approaches and innovative commercial opportunities
- Lead the team to collaborate and develop a broader view of the business context in which we operate
- Nurturing and growing the audience and their trust in us by giving them content which is at all times engaging and authentic on all platforms
- Work with relevant departments to help build a global licensing business
- Collaborating with colleagues both within the Media Brands division (Product, Marketing, Sales Operations), as well as outside (Media Services, Technology, Sales, Magazines and Finance) to get things done.
- Be the editorial face of the brand at commercial meetings and industry events
Requirements of the role
- Prepared to travel to London regularly and as required to other locations occasionally.
- Some unsociable working hours, in order to engage with colleagues on other time zones
Essential skills and experience
- Expert knowledge of digital journalism and demonstrable experience in consumer-facing titles
- Experience of commissioning articles that will engage with photographers of all types
- Experience of writing online articles that will engage with photographers of all types
- A keen eye for audience data and a data-led approach to content
- An understanding of ecommerce, and how brands can maximise this opportunity
- A highly tuned affinity for the audience, and what they are looking for
- Highly organized and strategic thinker
- Experience of working within budgets
- Ability to inspire and work effectively with stakeholders of all levels of seniority
- Commercial mindset and problem-solving approach
- Superb communication skills
- Creative thinker
- A deep understanding of the photography market, including the products, technologies, behaviours and trends driving its evolution
- A fast worker with a desire to make an instant difference
- Fluency with current thinking in digital journalism, including search engine optimization, social media, and newsletters
- Experience or willingness to present content through video format
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of commercializing and monetizing content
- Educated to degree level or equivalent