Founded in 2007, Babbel is the world’s top-grossing and most effective language-learning app. No small feat, and no small challenge. In a moment rife with talk of walls, we’re building bridges — making the language-learning journey as exciting and empowering as possible, helping people forge new connections and participate in worlds bigger than their own. We do things that matter. And foremost, we make people speak their new language as they’ve always wanted to. Come work with us.
There’s still so much to do.Babbel is for everyone, not some niche or elite strata of learners. Everyone. As our user base has grown, so has what they need from us. Their learning needs, life experiences, and reference points become more varied and colorful by the day. Meeting that means ensuring users see themselves reflected —not just in our product— but the world it allows them to imagine with us. That means reflecting the dynamism and diversity of our users, as much as possible, in the production of Babbel. We currently have 600 people from more than 50 nationalities working in our Berlin and New York offices, challenging and learning from each other at every step. A culture of difference and dignity is critical to how we’ve connected with millions of users, in every hemisphere.
We are looking for a Full-Stack Engineer to join our LingoVentura team in Berlin!
In your role as an Engineer with LingoVentura your mission will be working on rebuilding and the further development of a web platform providing a full service for finding, organising and booking language exchanges and all services behind (finding the schools, courses, guest families or hostels and additional activities).
- Communicative and collaborative
- Driven, with action bias and can-do attitude
- Pragmatic and adaptable when it comes to software development
- 2-3 years experience in web development
- Experience with API designs
- Knowledge with Django or Flask (or similar open-source frameworks)
- Passion for building scalable and responsive web platforms
- A good understanding of continuous integration (code analysis, testing, deploying)
Nice to have:
- Understanding of lean and agile practices, in particular, Scrum and Kanban
- Experience in using cloud services, ideally AWS
- Experience in using Docker or Virtualization
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Experience in other server-side languages like PHP
- Knowledge in reading and writing SQL statements
- Experience in refactoring and methodologies of managing and driving down technical debt
- Code hands-on yourself to deliver quality solutions
- Ensure code quality and participate in code reviews
- Participate in product shaping and embracing the challenges of an early stage product
- Work in a cross-functional agile team and build on a new and exiting product
- Participate in technical architecture evolution with our team and lead architect
- Maintain and evolve existing services
- Identify and implement innovative solutions and ensure long-term stability and maintainability of our code base
- Seamless transition in working styles geared towards building prototypes and production quality codebases
Why Babbel?Babbel is the world’s most successful language learning app. Work with us to make a real impact in the world, in a meaningful way.
- We’re driven by a bold challenge
- We solve meaningful problems - at scale.
- Diversity and difference are our strengths; lifelong learning is our life’s blood
- Work within a high-performing team at Babbel.
- Tackle a steep learning-curve – personally and professionally.
- Work in a challenging environment and where you’re expected to bring your game face
- Take advantage of a lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours.
- Draw from a vibrant international company with people from over 50 different nationalities.
- We offer great company benefits (high-end company bike, fresh fruit & drinks).
Sounds good? We are already looking forward hearing from you! Check out our jobs page, our blog, and ourtechblog!
Questions about a career at Babbel? Contact us!