What you do at AMD changes everythingAt AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies – building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the “extra mile” to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
Position Title:3rd Party Analog/Digital Macro IP Verification, Analysis, & CAD engineer
Department: 3rd Party Analog Mixed Signal IPCR Design Analysis / CAD
AMD Circuit Technology division is comprised of Analog Mixed Signal Design, Custom Layout Design, 3rd Party Analog Mixed Signal IPCR Design Analysis, and Post Silicon Analog Design Characterization. In this position, you will be part of the 3rd Party Analog Mixed Signal IPCR Design Analysis / CAD team.
During the chip development cycle, the 3rd Party Analog Mixed Signal IPCR Design Analysis / CAD team reviews analog mixed signal designs received under contract from 3rd party vendors, reviews design specifications, performs design analysis, and works with the vendor, as well as AMD internal teams to identify/resolve design and interoperability problems detected. Designs under review include next generation USB, PCIE4 etc. A key unique aspect of our team is the breath of electrical / design flow, and topology topics our work involves. Also, the amount of cross training between members of the team, and a strong aspect of mentorship for new members to the team enables the level of positive and cooperative work environment needed to succeed. Detection of critical issues, well before product silicon manufacture, helps maintain schedule and mitigate a considerable amount of revenue loss for the company. Your efforts will help enable ASIC chip solutions that will become AMD’s next gen products in the international market place. If you have a passion to interact with and learn aspects of an entire ASIC design flow, this position is the right fit for you.
AMD Markham site community: Throughout the year AMD Markham has many opportunities to participate and interact with the larger engineering community. Examples of recent events include site-wide BBQs, internal gaming competition between interns etc.
In this position, you will be an integral part of the hardware design process.
- Responsible for understanding, analyzing and then supporting integration of analog/digital design components into the overall ASIC chip product.
- Researching/perform analysis, with different test cases, to identify whether any detected issues reside within the vendor’s design component or with neighboring AMD’s circuits.
- Investigating and developing better ways of automating the analysis workflows for high-speed mixed signal designs.
- You will use your combined hardware/software background to help create software and test cases to analyze/approve/endorse quality 3rd Party AMS designs.
- You will interact with external vendors outside AMD to review/discuss analysis results which indicate the design needs enhancement, as well as interact with AMD internal teams for cross-referencing issues after component integration into the larger chip environment.
- Improve and promote communication, teamwork, problem solving, mentoring and training.
Within this role experience is gained in many tasks:
- Analyze hybrid Analog / Digital mixed signal (AMS) designs.
- Research into the purpose and behaviour of the design to understand and then highlight any key issues.
- Present / explain key issues to stakeholders from inside and outside AMD.
- Work closely with Engineers within AMD Markham and other AMD design sites worldwide to enable solutions to these AMS designs.
- Use software automation to Enhance IP design validation methodologies.
- Utilize industry standard physical verification analysis tools to review hardware design components before final integration and preparation towards chip manufacture.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Layout LVS (layout vs schematic comparison), DRC/ERC (Design/Electrical rule checking), Boundary & Circuit Topological checks of pre-silicon hardware design
- Design for Manufacturing and other Silicon Reliability topics
- EM (electro-migration), IR (low-voltage power supply analysis), ESD (electrostatic discharge)
- Static Timing Analysis
- Spice simulation
- Schematic and layout best practices, and industry-standard manufacturing practices
- Parasitic RC extraction
- How to utilize common industry standard EDA (electronic design automation) tools and learn how the tools perform analysis/verification at an algorithm/concept level.
- Revision control software
- The life-cycle of hardware chip development from early chip specification through fabrication/silicon manufacturing stages
- Best methods to present new flows / concepts to peers and colleges.
SKILL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Looking for candidates who have both strong hardware and software skills.
- The ability to develop well-structured and maintainable software.
- An understanding of analog and digital transistor device behavior
- Basic experience in UNIX or Linux, drawing transistor layout, PERL, hspice, tcl, and Verilog or VHDL are assets
- Candidate should have strong written and oral communication skills in order to work well with peers in Toronto and other AMD design sites.
- Candidate should be able to conduct research to find root cause for software and hardware design bugs.
Interest in transistor level circuits, transistor level layout, and how to automate analysis using multiple programming languages is a strong benefit. Ingenuity, excellent communication, and outstanding problem-solving skills will enable you to help keep our products stay on the leading edge.
Requisition Number: 72541
Country: Canada State: Ontario City: Markham
Job Function: DesignAMD is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Any applicant who requires accommodation should contact AskHR@amd.com.
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services.