Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) is a place for exceptional people with outstanding ideas and the absolute willingness to bring them to life. With R&D facilities all over the U.S., you will be surrounded by engineers, software developers, and designers pushing technology boundaries to shape the future wherever you are.
We are not just about cars: we are also about the latest and greatest software, cutting-edge technology, and groundbreaking innovation.
Here at MBRDNA, you create a digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:Perform engine OBD calibration development for Daimler and joint-venture engines and integration of those engines into Daimler and joint venture vehicles. Ensure compliance of engine OBD calibration with regulations in target markets (globally). Perform project level budget + resource planning and tracking, calibration related-issue tracking and resolution.
- Calibrate OBD system for gasoline engines (direct injection (GDI), port injected (PFI), turbocharged and naturally aspirated) to comply with different global emission/OBD regulations
- Perform calibration work and validation of OBD monitors on engine and chassis dynamometer as well as in vehicles on test drives
- Develop and manage OBD related calibration variants supporting multiple vehicle variants and multiple target markets
- Specify, develop, or adapt engine OBD monitors as required to meet targets
- Report status and KPIs to management on a regular basis. Identify best possible use of company resources, identify and eliminate waste of resources
- Perform tracking and resolution of OBD calibration related topics. Assign, follow-up and close out with issue owner after successful validation of a fix. Report status to management
- Budget controlling: collect and maintain all major cost information for OBD calibration topics and activities internally and externally. Plan future resource needs on coordination with Technical lead
- Continuous Improvements/ Quality management:Report status to management on a regular basis. Identify options for improved use of resources. Ensure compliance with company accounting rules and guidelines
- Provides project plan, manages activities and time schedules. Assign project responsibilities. Organize daily activities. Monitor all OBD-related deliverables concerning quality and timeliness. Mentor and guide engineers, technically and behaviorally. Assist in preparation of Performance Review documentation and participate in formal performance review meetings with third parties (development supplier)
Education & Experience:
- Master’s Degree: Automotive, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- 7+ years of relevant experience
- Excellent ability to manage all activities around project and resource coordination
- Strong coordination skills
- Expert knowledge in diagnostic systems, emissions, and controls of internal combustion gasoline engines (port- and direct-injected, naturally aspirated and turbo-charged engines)
- Knowledgeable about current and upcoming global OBD regulations
- Strong familiarity with calibration development environments (ETAS INCA, Vector CANape) and other OBD development tools
- Hands-on experience in OBD calibration, preferably in a production automotive environment, experienced in operation and evaluation of development vehicles
- In-depth knowledge of: combustion processes, emissions, emission after-treatment systems, drive cycles, statistical data analysis
- Knowledge of MS Office programs, email clients, and databases
- Well organized, highly motivated, and able to work in a multicultural environment
- Very good communication skills orally and in writing
- Excellent at identifying and resolving resource conflicts matter
- Strong problem solving skills and excellent presentation and communication skills
- Willing to travel domestically and/or internationally as required
- Participation in vehicle test trips
- German language a plus
- Successful track record in representing company in industry organizations e.g. SAE, IEEE, etc.
- Familiar with translating regulations into technical requirements, and ability to research and interpret complex diagnostic control functions
- Ability to facilitate issue resolution in the case of conflicting requirements between diagnostics, emissions, drivability and familiarity with documenting OBD related information
- Experience with emission testing procedures/standards, vehicle drivability evaluation, and troubleshooting, Design of Experiments (DoE)
- Good knowledge of MB passenger cars, familiar with internal vehicle / powertrain identification abbreviation
- Familiar with Daimler documentation systems (SAFIR, FINAS, FePLAS, etc)
- German language skills is a plus
Additional Information:MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work / life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Field of activity:IT/Telecommunications
DepartmentOBD Testing & Development