Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Job number 640191
- Date posted Jun 14, 2019
- Travel None
- Profession Services
- Role type Individual Contributor
- Employment type Full-Time
Are you interested in the cloud business and enabling Linux OSS workloads? The Microsoft Azure Platform is strategic to Microsoft enabling customers, ISVs, and Microsoft IT to develop, test, and deploy solutions in the cloud to take advantage of economies of scale, reliability, globally distributed data centers, and generally reduce the effort of managing dedicated IT infrastructure. Azure is a growing leader in the cloud market with Azure Support enabling customer success and providing a key differentiator when customers make buying decisions.
Azure Linux Support is a strategic unit of Customer Support Services (CSS) responsible for the following:
- The definition and implementation of the support services required to win in the cloud marketplace.
- Resolving customer issues including complex technical scenarios integrating several cloud capabilities and scenarios supporting the service such as service availability, quality, outage management, subscription management, correlation of usage and charges, and cost efficient solution architecture.
- Provide critical product feedback to multiple Engineering Groups
- Lead the integration of CSS talent to resolve Azure Linux issues as part of the Azure Support ecosystem.
- Engaging with customers running heterogeneous operating systems (Linux, Windows) on Azure Infrastructure Services.
The opportunity for you is to be part of the evolution of Azure and cloud support services, to be constantly challenged as the Platform expands to provide broader capabilities to customers, support customers using a service rather than on-premises products, and to work in collaboration with multiple Microsoft teams inside CSS and Engineering (Product Group).
Responsibilities include:The Support Escalation Engineer is responsible for support delivery, working with customers to resolve, complex technical customer issues on the Microsoft Azure Platform. In addition, the Senior Support Escalation Engineer will focus on determining technical support scenarios, supportability asks, support workflow adjustments for Azure Previews (equivalent of Beta in on-Premises); identifying required tools, cloud access, training, processes or capabilities for support to assess issues in less than 15 minutes. Need to closely collaborate with engineering, operations and CSS engineers.
The Support Escalation Engineer is a critical role in the implementation of Azure Platform support capabilities which includes working with the Engineering Group and Azure Supportability PMs to implement asks; identify technology, and/or process readiness needs, and work with Training PMs and Technical Leads to ensure support team readiness; and, develop relationships with and engage with technology-specific support teams for customer incident resolution when required.
Specific measurements include achieving the CPE team goals, time to resolution or escalation, enabling a response time similar to competitors; maintaining technical skills through completion of ongoing readiness and Platform training; and, in general participating in the creation of future Microsoft support capabilities for Linux OSS in Microsoft Azure.
- Leadership - handle technically challenging and politically sensitive customer situations
- Strong communications skills – Excellent spoken and written English communication skills
- Effective, polished interaction with customer to gather information quickly; explain customer responsibilities in resolving issue; communicate next steps and status; and inspire confidence
- Demonstrable troubleshooting skills
- Cross-team collaboration
- Logical and Critical thinking
- Passion for technology and customer support
- Understanding of cloud vs. on-premises computing. Familiarity with fundamentals of cloud computing.
TECHNICAL SKILLSDeep knowledge in Linux / OSS and technical understanding of at least one of the following areas: Microsoft Azure Platform, Operating System/Virtualization, Networking, or Relational Database Design/Administration.
- Familiarity with one, or more, shell environments (BASH, sh, tcsh, ksh, etc.)
- Experience with Linux script-based development environments and tools (PERL, Python, Ruby, PhP, etc.)
- Experience in Core Linux administration (boot process, file systems, network device and protocol configuration)
- LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PhP or Python)
- Chef/Puppet, Docker/Container
- Expertise in managing cluster environment (SUSE, RedHat, Veritas)
- Familiarity with core OS services such as: SSH, telnet, FTP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, Samba, LDAP
Microsoft Azure Platform
- Microsoft Azure architecture and its components (Fabric, Compute, Storage)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Azure Platform services
- Azure Platform development and deployment concepts
- Familiarity with development: tools, language, process, methods, troubleshooting
- Familiarity with LDAP, Security, OS Internals concepts
- Understanding of Virtualization concepts and virtual system administration
- Experience with Hyper-V, VMWare, Xen configuration and administration
- Cloud experience strongly preferred
- Familiarity with networking concepts including VIPs, NAT, DNS
- Familiarity with networking tools (ping, tracert, tracemon, tcpdump, etc.)
- Understanding of load balancing, geo-redundancy, CDN and VPN technologies preferred
- Understanding of the OSI model and related concepts
Relational Database Design/Administration
- Database administration
- Familiarity with relational and document-based database design methodologies
- Familiarity with BI data modeling and cube design concepts
- 7+ years of support or equivalent experience including a customer-facing or customer support role
- Available to work critical cases as needed on a 24x7 basis or through an on-call model.
- Occasional domestic and international travel
- S. degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Linux Professional Institute Certified (LPIC), Linux+, Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) preferred