PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
To gain a full overview of Aberdeen Standard Investments by working 10 weeks in one of several departments within the Investments Track (i.e. Fixed Income-Credit, Equities, Total Return Bonds, Private Equity, etc.). Interns will have the opportunity to learn and develop through on the job training, projects, and by attending presentations by leaders of each department associated with our Graduate Development Program.
After the internship, interns will have the opportunity to be considered for our Graduate Development Program as a Graduate Business Analyst (GBA). The GBA program includes working (4) 6 month rotations through Aberdeen Standard Investments departments in the Americas.
- Duties may include:
- Analyze companies and contribute to discussions regarding High Yield, High Grade, and derivative strategies; provide support as needed to Senior Research Analyst Teams
- Generate some investment recommendations and relative value analysis
- Keep detailed records supporting investment recommendations made
- Perform fundamental credit analysis including financial modeling; maintain coverage of assigned names on regular basis including quarterly and annual financial updates
- Perform basic capital structure analysis including analysis of covenant framework and loan documents
- Perform specialized compliance exams based on regulatory requirements, firm policies, contractual obligations and risk factors
- Review department documentation and observe procedures to ensure that transactions and practices/procedures are compliant with the firm’s Compliance Program and regulatory requirements
- Participate in trade surveillance and investment guideline monitoring program
- Gain experience performing fundamental company analysis including financial modeling and relative valuation
- Perform industry research and communicate with analysts to develop a better understanding of sectors
- Support portfolio managers in performance and risk related matters, liaising with other teams when necessary
- Provide assistance in the production of portfolio reports on an ad hoc and weekly basis
- Participate in internal and external company meetings including management meetings and roadshows
- Work with distribution teams to develop marketing materials
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- University student in Junior year working towards a 4 year degree
- Overall GPA of 3.5 or above preferred
- Strong financial modeling and Excel skills are preferred, but not required
- Applicant should be a self-starter, possess an ability to be a contributing member to a team, have strong organizational skills to manage projects to completion, and demonstrate the ability to solve complex problems
- Knowledge and familiarity with Access and Word
- Strong written and oral communications skills
CONDITIONS OF WORK:
- Minimal or no travel expected
- 0-5 hours of overtime expected
Please note that Aberdeen will not sponsor employees for a visa for Intern or Graduate Business Analyst positions.
While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary.