Wilmington, DE, United States
We create smart innovations to meet the mobility challenges of today and tomorrow. We design and manufacture a complete range of transportation systems, from high-speed trains to electric buses and driverless trains, as well as infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility solutions. Joining us means joining a truly global community of more than 36 300 people dedicated to solving real-world mobility challenges and achieving international projects with sustainable local impact.
In the context of Next Generation High Speed Trains project, the brand new “ACELA 2021”, ALSTOM is offering a high level of Maintenance Service to AMTRAK operator, under the form of TSSSA contract (Technical Support and Spares Supply Agreement).
Willing to start the commercial service of the brand-new trains in the best conditions, and to ensure the best operational performances of the transportation system every day, Alstom is currently mobilizing a full dedicated team, its know-how and best tools to make it a success.
The job of “Fleet Support Engineers” also called “Help Desk Operators” consists in providing technical support to both the Operator (Control Room, possibly directly drivers) and Alstom teams, analyzing data coming from the smart system (on-board, trackside) and from the Operator. For this they can rely on Alstom’s most advanced tools, especially TrainTracer™ and HealthHub™ suite enabling not only trains remote monitoring but also predictive maintenance and prognosis for the highest service performances.
We can summarize their mission by four key roles:
The first role of Fleet Support Engineers is to analyze real time information available from the remote monitoring systems, especially Alstom Health Hub™, providing to the whole transport organization an accurate view of the current condition of the rolling stock and infrastructure equipment for the best Availability of the whole system.
- This real time monitoring enables immediate efficient advice to the Control Room in contact with the drivers (possibly directly to the drivers themselves) in case of system fault occurring during service, combining equipment status with technical knowledge to ensure minimum perturbation of the service.
- Remote monitoring also enables the early detection of necessary maintenance (preventive or corrective) before it becomes visible in service, allowing maximum system availability for minimum maintenance (notion of predictive and CBM: condition-based maintenance). Based on dashboards and rules generating alerts (defined from Alstom return-of-experience worldwide and/or customized) Help Desk operators can extract from “big data” the key information and create notifications destined to the maintenance teams, for intervention at the best time.
Their second role, also real time, is to analyze, filter and dispatch the failure notifications generated by the Operator (Control Room):
- Confirm necessity of Alstom intervention or reject failure notifications,
- Complete notifications with all additional data available (e.g. associated faults codes, relevant maintenance history, etc.) providing as many inputs as possible to the troubleshooters to make their intervention fast and conclusive,
- Support the maintenance planner to allocate estimated intervention time.
The third role of the Help Desk is to support the Alstom teams in improving/sustaining Reliability performance of the Rolling Stock, doing background analysis of all data collected: received via various remote systems or collected “manually” by the maintainers on the different equipment. The purpose of this is:
- Explaining spot failures,
- Looking for recurrent failures, supporting the Warranty Manager and Engineering Manager to continuously improve the Reliability performance,
- Assessing the efficiency of corrective actions related to recurrent issues, monitoring their effect especially for system Reliability.
The fourth and last role of the Help Desk is to remotely assist Amtrak staff for the execution of the maintenance operations (preventive and corrective), during shifts not covered by the dedicated team of on-site support Engineers. This remote support may call cutting-edge technology such as augmented-reality glasses!
Because knowing perfectly how the rolling stock works is key to provide high quality and accurate support, the Fleet Support Engineers may start with several weeks/months with a “hands on” experience on the trains during the validation period preceding revenue the revenue service. This “induction” phase may lead to spend significant time on business travel, especially in the Alstom facility of Hornell, NY, in the test site of Pueblo, CO, and on the NEC (North East Corridor) between Washington, DC and Boston, MA where the first trains prototypes will complete their type tests.
During this period, the Fleet Support Engineers may have an active role for the validations, immersed in the Rolling Stock team, as “Train Control & Monitoring System (TCMS) key user”.
ReportingThe Help Desk Operators report hierarchically to the Maintenance Project Engineering Manager, and functionally to the Maintenance Fleet Planner.
Network & Links (main ones)Internal : Troubleshooters, Services and Rolling Stock Engineering teams, Maintenance Planner.
External : Control Room, possibly drivers.
Educational RequirementsEngineering degree, in electrical or mechanical fields (ideally both).
Professional Engineer (PE) qualification not required.
Technical Knowledge / ExperienceMinimum 2 years in Railways environment, ideally in systems integration or maintenance.
Minimum overall understanding of train functions is mandatory (any kind of rolling stock: LRV, metro, regional, mainline…)
experience of Train Systems and/or Train Control.
Behavioral and Technical Skills / Competencies
- Good communication abilities and transparency
- Able to say 'no' and manage pressure situations.
- Able to make decisions considering rules and using common sense.
- Open to learn from others.
- Languages: fluent English compulsory / appreciated: French
Job Location / Time / Mobility RequirementsThe job is initially based in New Castle, DE.
Eventually Alstom Fleet Support Engineers may be hosted in Amtrak’s CNOC (Consolidated National Operations Center) located in Wilmington, DE.
Current organization is based on 3 shifts for 24/7 support.
Short business trips to other Alstom’s sites may be required, especially for training during the first months.
An agile, inclusive and responsible culture is the foundation of our company where diverse people are offered excellent opportunities to grow, learn and advance in their careers. We are committed to encouraging our employees to reach their full potential, while valuing and respecting them as individuals.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. Alstom is a drug-free workplace.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Accommodations for Applicants with Disabilities
Alstom provides reasonable accommodations and/or assistance to applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans (including but not limited to other protected veterans and individuals with known physical and mental limitations). If you need a reasonable accommodation/assistance for any part of the application and/or hiring process, please contact Alstom’s Recruiting Department at email@example.com (please use “Accommodation Request” as the subject line).
Job Segment: Transportation, Supply, Facilities, Technical Support, Information Technology, Operations, Technology