About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of our 15,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About the Programme
We are looking for graduates with strong interpersonal skills, who are eager to learn and broaden their knowledge and expertise. You have a Bachelor, Master or PhD degree with up to 3 years professional experience – we invite you to apply to our graduates@swissre programme 2021.
The programme offers you the chance to join the dynamic, fast-moving world of a leading risk knowledge organisation. Over an 18-month period, you’ll receive on- and off-the-job training, including a job rotation that gives you the opportunity to work across different business divisions.
About the role
We are looking for a Graduate Reserving Actuary to join our team in performing quarterly actuarial P&C reserve calculations. In this role you will have unique opportunity to apply your technical actuarial, modelling and data analytics skills across a wide variety of activities outlined below. The role offers the opportunity for out of the box thinking, working on solutions to a broad range of challenges. You will interact collaboratively with colleagues in our Business Management team and with specialists throughout Swiss Re, both locally and within EMEA. Furthermore, you will contribute to data analytics projects and development of reporting dashboards.
- You will work with an actuarial reserving tool, apply the various actuarial reserving methods and decide on the most appropriate reserves for the financial accounts.
- You will estimate reserves, digging deeper into portfolios as required tounderstand the underlying business drivers.
- You will challenge costing accuracy, contribute to reporting and build a deep understanding of liability reinsurance in particular.
- You ensure that the overall calculations are comprehensive, complete and well understood
- You will regularly interact with other functions such as Underwriting, Claims, Technical Accounting and Finance as well as with senior management and build trustful long-term relationships
- You will also contribute to actuarial-related projects and systems development.
- You will receive substantial training and career-development opportunities to develop and grow within the organisation, including financial support for the actuarial qualification.We encourage pursuing the actuarial qualification with one of the major actuarial societies
About the team
Our Zurich Reserving team belongs to the EMEA team with members in Munich, London and Bangalore. We are part of the Global Actuarial team within P&C Business Management. We work cross functionally with our colleagues in Underwriting, Client Management, Claims and Finance. Therefore, we value strong communication skills on top of technical expertise. We mainly reserve all EMEA General Liability treaty business. Additionally, we are responsible for reserving the EMEA and Americas Credit and Surety and Agriculture business. Our team is diverse but with a strong sense of community. Our work is demanding, but we encourage strong collaboration and knowledge sharing. We are committed, curious and encouraging one another.
- You have successfully completed your university degree in Science, Applied Mathematics, or related subjects and you are willing to pursue the actuarial qualification with one of the major actuarial societies.
- Proficient in English, you have multicultural communication skills, curiosity and are a team-player. We will consider any other major language a plus.
- Ideally, you have knowledge of relevant statistical and actuarial models and knowledge of R or Python are considered an advantage.
- Strong interest in/motivation to learn about insurance/reinsurance
- You have appetite for a multi-dimensional role that is both highly technical and requires judgment as well as a commercial approach.
- Aptitude to express yourself effectively in one-on-one conversations and small groups
- Mature & self-confident; able to work with clients, business partners or senior colleagues
- Approaches problems with curiosity and open-mindedness, is a fast learner
- Capacity to readily adapt to a changing and dynamic environment
We are looking forward to your application!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.