At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a proactive and flexible Administrative Assistant, with a cooperative spirit and good software packages skills? Are you interested to collaborate on a range of administrative areas at Department level and to provide assistance to members of Personnel in a dynamic IT Department? Contribute with your skills to the IT Secretariat Team! CERN. Take part!
You will join:
- The Information Technology (IT) Department which provides computing services for all aspects of the laboratory’s activities. More information on the Department is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep/
- The Department Infrastructure (DI) Group which provides and maintains the administrative and infrastructure support for the IT Department (more than 250 members of Personnel).
- The Secretariat (SE) Section which covers all aspects of administrative support required within the IT Department such as reimbursements of expenses and handling of the arrival and departure formalities for the members of Personnel.
As an Administrative Assistant in a team of 3 people, you will be involved in various administrative tasks and in particular:
- Answering queries on Personnel and administrative matters on a variety of subjects.
- Taking care of arrival and departure formalities: travel arrangements, process expense claims, liaise with other internal services, etc.
- Preparing and processing several reimbursements in accordance with CERN Staff rules and regulations.
- Maintaining and controlling information in CERN Personnel/administrative databases and associated tools.
- Preparing the IT internal induction and make presentations to newcomers;
- Coordinating the trainee STAG and job shadowing program in IT.
- Providing personal assistance to the head of department during the absence of his assistant.
- Covering for other team members during their absence.
Higher administrative diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of administration and finance or a related field.
- Demonstrated relevant professional experience in an administrative service/secretariat service.
- Experience in an international environment would be an advantage.
- Experience using personnel/administrative databases and associated tools would be an advantage.
- Secretarial work: preparing and processing several reimbursements, assisting in the preparation of excel documents and statistics.
- Customer service: answering queries on personnel and administrative matters on a variety of subjects.
- Use of office software packages: preparation of Excel documents, maintenance of Web Sites in Drupal and/or Sharepoint would be a plus.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises readily admitting to mistakes maintaining confidentiality.
- Working in teams: seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Achieving results: objectively assessing and monitoring own work; regularly reporting on progress and advising of any changes in schedule or priorities being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts as well as the ability to prepare/draft accurate texts.
- Knowledge of French will be an asset or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.02.2021 at 12:00 PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: IT-DI-SE-2021-3-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Process/Services Assistant