Engineering San Diego, California
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: SonTek, a Xylem Brand, seeks to hire a Manufacturing Mechanical Engineer.
As Mfg. Mech. Engineer, this person will respond to the needs of the production floor in order to keep production running smoothly. Responsibilities include maintenance and creation of all assembly processes, tools, fixtures, and equipment. Product/fixture documentation and continuous improvement/cost reduction activities will also be required. This person will address to completion all quality issues, obstacles to shipment, failures, and mfg. floor layout needs.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:Production Floor Support:
- Creating clear, concise, detailed, and accurate standard manufacturing processes in collaboration with the production floor.
- Update and improve assembly processes as required collaborating with production using Engineering Change process to implement.
- Specifying, designing, documenting, building, and implementing assembly fixtures for the production floor.
- Researching, specifying, procuring, and implementing equipment and tools for the production floor.
- Provide daily technical support to attack and resolve problems with processes, equipment, or material in a timely manner
- Addressing, analyzing, and resolving any failures or problems encountered on the production floor.
- Implementation and maintenance of equipment calibration such as torque control drivers.
- Implementation of Continuous Improvement methods and tool as required on the production floor e.g. 5S, efficiency of motion, time study, etc.
- Identifying, implementing, and documenting Kaizen events and continuous improvements to be a significant contributor to cost reduction efforts.
- Providing safe work environment for production by implementing safety solutions as required.
Oracle ERP Maintenance:
- Utilize Oracle ERP for Item Number, Bill of Material, and Labor time creation and changes, and engineering changes.
- Maintain accurate routing steps and labor hours in Oracle and make changes as required.
- Maintenance and updates of Oracle Product Configurator due to product updates and engineering changes.
New Product Introductions:
- Contribute to new product design reviews with Design for Manufacturability input.
- Specify manufacturing equipment, tools, and fixtures required for new product.
- Conduct pre-pilot and pilot run activities, ensuring that everything works for production and results in quality product.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Industrial Engineering
- 1-2+ Years hands-on experience in Manufacturing Environment
- Computer skills, including SolidWorks and Microsoft Office software
- Working experience with ERP systems (Oracle experience preferred) and Engineering Change Orders
- Technical writing skills necessary to create work procedures for non-technical personnel
- Experience with Continuous Improvement efforts inclusive of Lean Mfg. principles, Kaizen events, 5S, and cost reduction preferred.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds
- Analytical thinking ability – able to identify root cause of issue and determine resolution
- Critical thinking ability – able to look at an issue or situation and make a good objective decision based on the evidence.
- Follow up and follow through with tasks to make sure they are complete and done correctly, completely, and accurately.
- Take ownership of tasks and responsibility to get things completed.
- Collaboration with all levels of the organization and “get it done” attitude.
- Demonstrate disciplined engineering practices
- Willingness and ability to listen effectively to understand problems and ideas conveyed by non-technical personnel
- Willingness and ability to convey technical information and work procedures to non-technical personnel
- Strong Attention to Detail
- Self-starter – take initiative to create and implement solutions without assistance.
Physical Demands:(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
Work Environment:(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.