Operations Morton Grove, Illinois
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: As a member of the Sustaining Engineering Team, the intern will be responsible for the development and ongoing engineering support of the Xylem portfolio. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to succeed in a fast paced, fluid environment, while ensuring that project initiatives are met. If you are excited and passionate to work on state-of-the art technology trends, we want to hear from you!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of a senior engineer, investigate and develop product design concepts.
- Define dimensional and material requirements for manufactured component parts.
- Define critical to quality characteristics of newly designed parts.
- Define mechanical component engineering specifications.
- Generate dimensional and tolerance analysis to assure parts assembly as designed.
- Work closely with Purchasing, Production, and Product Management departments to successfully deliver designs that meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Identify cost savings opportunities.
- Document departmental protocols to aid in the launch of a new ERP system.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Attending an accredited University studying toward a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum rising junior in standing.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Experience with 3D CAD modeling software and data management tools. Creo (Pro Engineer) and Windchill preferred.
- Experience with tolerance analysis and GD&T. FEA experience is a plus.
- Desire and ability to learn new tools, processes and design techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey technical concepts clearly.
- Has strong customer focus.
Physical Demands:(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
Work Environment:(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.