Leeds, Newcastle, York or Sheffield
As a Principal Consultant within Mott MacDonald’s Economics team, you'll support the team's leadership in growing the development of our client portfolio working with a range of public and private sector clients and contribute to the development of new markets. In particular you will act as Principal Consultant and deliver various economic appraisal, development economics, strategic planning and business case projects as you develop your own portfolio of work.
Key responsibilities will involve the following:
- Principal Consultant / Manager for economic appraisal, development economics, strategic planning and business case projects that are single discipline or multi-disciplinary projects for a variety of project types, sizes and client type, involving responsibility for resourcing, financial management and project controls.
- Supporting senior staff in growing our market presence and client relationships drawing on your portfolio of previous work.
- Manage staff in terms of briefing, checking technical work and adherence to project plans.
- Preparing and/or contributing to technical reports and other project outputs.
- Developing and mentoring the team, involving skills transfer and knowledge sharing of technical best practice.
- Meeting and liaison with a wide range of clients and partners internal to the company and externally in the market.
- Undertaking business development, writing proposals and winning work for a variety of project types, sizes and clients. You will create market areas in which you grow and develop leadership over time.
- Working in a team environment, representing Mott MacDonald’s values in all activities.
As a qualified Economic Consultant, you are able to demonstrate your expertise in development economics, Green Book-compliant appraisal, business cases, and strategy development across a range of sectors and types of activity. You are able to evidence and demonstrate success in business development activities such as winning new work and writing bids or tenders in a consultancy environment. You will also be able to demonstrate your skills in report writing, appraisal, business cases, applied economics, project development, economic development, regeneration policy and strategy and knowledge of experience in the transportation sector. Your background within consultancy environments has provided you with a business focus and ideally you are seeking to enhance your career in a dynamic role in leading the development of our established proposition.
You are also able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree (MSc/BSc or equivalent) in economics, economic development, geography, urban planning or in a similar subject
- Membership of a relevant professional organisation
- Experience in economic and/or financial modelling
- Experience working within a consultancy environment, particularly in developing client relationships and managing client engagements
- In-depth understanding of HM Treasury’s Green Book and government department/ public agency appraisal guidance
- Effective communication skills with both clients and colleagues
- Technical competency with key software packages, particularly MS Excel
As a member of the national economics team, the Principal Consultant will lead and drive the delivery of a range of economics-related projects being delivered by the team throughout the country and will add their own portfolio of work to this successful team. The team’s leadership is looking for senior appointments to strengthen the management capability and market-facing experience within the team, especially in northern England. This role is ideal for someone wanting to take on a role encompassing projects, business development and team leadership.
Our current portfolio of work includes national and international regeneration, planning and business case engagements for public and private sector clients. Examples include:
- our work on the UK Government’s key ‘levelling up’ initiatives, the Future High Streets Fund and Towns Fund;
- supporting major housing development schemes such as through the Single Housing Infrastructure Fund scheme;
- developing business cases for transport schemes, with a particular focus on the interaction of land use change and local economic development; and
- supporting our internal client base via involvement in major projects such as HS2, flood mitigation and international aviation schemes.
Please read the information provided and if it sounds like the right role for you apply online as soon as possible. Our online application process takes about 10 minutes and you'll need to upload your CV/resume plus have the option to upload a cover letter (it helps to explain why you're applying).
If you have any difficulties, or require adjustments such as sending us your application in a different format, please contact us on . We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated provides more information on our efforts and .
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we support our staff to create work-life balance which works for them and welcome candidates looking for career flexibility. We are open to discussing flexible working at interview stage.
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Lisa Watson/ Rachael Adams
England - North East, England - North West
Consultancy, Other, Planning and modelling
Europe and Central Asia
Management consultancy, Transportation