Senior Manager, HR StrategyLocation: McLean, Virginia; Richmond, Virginia; New York, New York
Save Job ID R114039Updated date 06/09/2021
Center 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, VirginiaSenior Manager, HR Strategy
The Commercial Banking sector is in the midst of transforming to address industry headwinds -- this has provided a unique opportunity for HR strategists to play a vital role shaping what the future organization, talent, and culture strategies could look like to meet this exciting moment and the years to come.
Capital One’s Commercial Bank has set new imperatives to address the sector headwinds, and our HR team is in the process of translating business strategies into People and Talent strategies to go after. To support this ambition, our newly formed HR Strategy & Execution team has been assembled to help business leaders solve the most complex people strategy problem statements working hand-in-hand with HR Consultants and other HR thought leaders. We are the bridge between Enterprise HR products and our Commercial HR Consultant team, and we also serve as the beating drum and “air traffic controller” to manage a portfolio of initiatives needed to deliver our objectives. We are passionate about upskilling our HR talent and see our role as a talent incubator to prepare high performing associates with world-class skills that will make them an even better “general athlete” and an exceptional leader over time. We invite you to take the next step of your career development journey with us.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
You will report into the Head of HR Strategy & Execution and lead the “Strategic Problem Solving” pillar, applying world class conceptual and analytical frameworks, exceptional data analysis and synthesis, and powerful storytelling to deliver outsized impact for Commercial Bank leaders.
You’ll also work closely with HR Consultants, various HR specialists (e.g., People Strategy & Analytics, Talent Acquisition, Learning & Development, etc.), Horizontal HR teams, other Functional groups (e.g., Finance), and business leaders to sharpen up your perspective and deliver recommendations that are fit-for-purpose for a particular business area.
You’ll think “Enterprise-first” in everything you do which includes (1) tapping into your Enterprise HR and LOB network to see if a solution exists before building from scratch, and (2) building a solution that can scale across Capital One.
You’ll do all of this while guiding a shared team of junior HR associates to help deliver the work -- providing apprenticeship and coaching to help them achieve their full potential and be well-rounded HR generalists ready to tackle anything that comes their way.
Your primary areas of focus include:
Strategic problem solving and structuring: Working closely with the Head of HR Strategy & Execution, HR Consultants, and Business Leaders to build out problem statements, define the work to be done, staff the work and guide teams while working alongside them to deliver impact (i.e., everything from hypothesis-based problem solving and synthesis to building work plans and designing an operating model for the team to deliver the work). You’ll do this by:
- Defining a compelling and succinct problem statement
- Formulating and testing hypotheses
- Gathering and analyzing information
- Identifying interventions to problems and architecting plans to deliver them
- Building compelling narratives to influence senior leaders with well thought out recommendations
Capability building and coaching: Develop a “Knowledge Chessboard” and methodically build a compendium of problem solving frameworks, approaches, and case examples for HR teams to leverage in their business situations. Participate in various upskilling opportunities to help the broader HR team continue to strengthen strategic problem solving muscles.
Senior leader discussion support. Prepare various discussion materials to support senior-level conversations utilizing a world-class storytelling approach in-line with how Capital One Business Analysts or leading strategy consultancies build their decks.
Here’s what’s in it for you:
- Role offering a real depth of intellectual challenge drawing from your conceptual problem solving, data analysis, synthesis, work planning, and storytelling skills
- Apprenticeship to continue building your “consulting toolkit” in-line with training offered at the world’s leading strategy consultancies
- Opportunity to be part of very senior level conversations to help shape the direction and trajectory of their People strategy over several planning horizons
- Chance to lead and develop junior HR associates and make an impact
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A track record of decision making and problem solving based on strong conceptual skill sets and data-backed recommendations
- Ability to combine business experience and insights with analytical modelling skills to reach results that are both intuitive and technically sound
- Strong business judgment, leadership and integrity: able to bring a healthy, balanced approach to business
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with focus on presentation skills and strategic influencing skills
- Focus on achieving both short and long term goals, with the ability to drive and execute an agenda in an uncertain and fluid environment
- Strong team orientation and demonstrated ability to mobilize both direct and matrixed resources to deliver an outsized impact in a short period of time
- A passion for people leadership with a track record of attracting and growing great talent and building a strong followership
- A strong interest in understanding and influencing how to leverage talent to drive desired business outcomes
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of client consulting experience or at least 5 years of business analysis experience or at least 5 years of corporate strategy experience or a combination
- At least 2 years of people management experience
- MBA or Master’s Degree
- At least 4 years of Management Consulting or Investment Banking or Corporate Strategy or Business Analysis or HR Strategy & Analytics experience
- Expert, current knowledge of world-class people/talent/organizational strategy
- At least 1 year of experience with Commercial Banking sector
- At least 1 year of Financial or business modeling experience
- At least 1 year of experience with SQL databases
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One’s recruiting process, please send an email to
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Who We AreAt Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good. To Search Results