Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, and project management consultancies. This role is within the Applied Technology practice which has an excellent record in consultancy and delivery to a wide range of clients including some of the largest public and private sector organisations in the UK, particularly in defence, security and government markets.
The increased use of data within these organisations means that they now must be able to respond to the disruption of the digital era and the increasing pace, volatility, variety, and scale of change that is now inherent in today’s business environment.
The value of data can be maximised through the extraction of hidden information and insights that can enable efficiencies and more effective business processes. In order to help our clients, understand and improve their business performance using data-driven approaches. Successful candidates will provide expertise in the design and application of scalable Machine Learning solutions for a variety of clients and sectors.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
Role and Responsibilities:You will be a part of a growing, multidisciplinary team that is well-established in the space of digital solution development services. In your role you will:
- Effectively apply a variety of machine learning and data engineering techniques to develop proof-of-concept business solutions into software products and data services.
- Work with clients to integrate these best practices into their processes and decision-making
- Handle, merge, and clean multi-source data for use in software products and to power data services.
- Collaborate with teams of Data Scientists, Software Engineers, and other technical consultants of various experience levels.
- Actively participate in the design of bespoke, innovative, flexible, and sector-specific software projects.
- Contribute to decision-making that will lead to successful delivery of projects.
- Derive actionable outcomes from the outputs of software projects.
- Be responsible for expanding your software and analytical skills through appropriate training and mentorship.
- Participate in external activities related to own specialism such as client engagement.
The Individual:You are a Machine Learning Engineer who understands business problems and has the technical know-how to extract, transform and analyse data for use in software products and to power data services. You have experience in applying algorithms (including ML/AI) to data and optimising them to work at scale (via data pipelines) in a production environment. You are a creative and critical thinker, eager to expand further your machine learning and data engineering skills according to project needs. You are results-oriented with ability to understand wider business strategies. Beyond providing high-quality solutions, you are also capable of interpreting and communicating the benefits of any software products and data services developed to non-expert audiences.
Additionally, you have:
- Excellent stakeholder management with focus on nurturing & developing strong relationships.
- Ability to work as a part of a team adding expertise and value to project deliverables as needed.
- Strong DevOps skills, knowledge, and experience of a variety of techniques and methods to capture, elaborate and understand client challenges (agile/scrum/Kanban/waterfall, effective report writing and presentations, and strong stakeholder engagement).
- Good planning, communication and relationship building skills; able to influence business decisions and formulate positive relationships with customers, strategic partners, and colleagues.
- A high-level of self-initiation, organisation, enthusiasm, and eagerness to learn and develop new skills.
- A degree in applied maths, statistics, computer science, engineering or other related fields or equivalent experience.
- Work experience as a Machine Learning Engineer or a role that requires similar exposure to working with ‘big data’ and complex problem-solving using data.
- Experience in applying algorithms (including ML/AI) to data and optimising them to work at scale (via data pipelines) in a production environment.
- Good programming skills for data transformation or modelling (e.g. Python, R, Scala).
- Data storage and querying skills (relational SQL and NoSQL databases, Data Lakes, S3).
- Experience with developing and provisioning sustainable solutions within cloud-based ecosystems (e.g. Microsoft Azure, AWS).
- Hands on experience with some of the following: regression, SVM, Random forests, Clustering, NLP, Neural Networks, Hypothesis testing, algorithm development.
- Good understanding of data modelling, data structures, master & metadata management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in full-stack software development (e.g. .is frameworks, Java, .NET).
- Exposure to real time Analytics and Data warehousing (e.g. Synapse, Redshift).
- Experience in Defence, National Infrastructure, Transport, or similar sectors.
- ETL\ELT and Orchestration of data pipelines in a production environment (e.g. Data Factory, Glue).
- Understanding of at least one Data Framework (e.g. Azure, AWS, Apache Spark, Apache Hadoop).
Why work for Atkins?People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career, and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
Read more about 'Total Reward'.
More about us:Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge, and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
Training:Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Flexible Working:Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Diversity & Inclusion:ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures, and ability.
Security Clearance:This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-ADST | #LI-UK | #LI-ATKINS