VN272Full-Timebetween £25,000 and £30,000 DOESykes Cottages are seeking to appoint a Paralegal to join the Legal Team at our Chester head office.
The appointed person will work alongside our Legal Director and Data Protection Officer on a number of matters including (i) dealing with complaints and legal claims made against the Sykes group and/or the Owners of the properties that the Sykes group lets, (ii) dealing with erasure requests, subject access requests, requests for personal data by law enforcement authorities, minor data breaches, Data Protection Impact Assessments and reviewing data protection provisions included in or referred to in contracts Sykes enters into; the DPO will provide training and supervise the paralegal in this regard, (iii) carrying out contract reviews, (iv) assisting with creating legal policies, procedures and training for the purposes of upskilling the non-legal members of the Sykes’ team and (v) assisting with other legal related business as usual matters and specific projects.
The appointed person should have the following:
- Good GCSE and A Level grades
- Law degree
- Experience, as a paralegal, assisting on the above matters, or as a minimum (i), (iii) and (v) in a law firm or in-houseThe appointed person will have responsibility for the following:
Complaints and Legal Claims
- Responsible for a spreadsheet of letters before action and claims, and communicating the status of those claims to the Legal Director on a regular basis;
- Responding to letters before action and progressing each matter to its conclusion;
- Responding to legal claims and progressing them to their conclusion;
- Notifying Sykes’ insurers of PI claims and checking that they are being progressed correctly;
- Sending H&S enquiries to Sykes’ external H&S expert and progressing them with such expert and Sykes’ team members as applicable;
In all of the above instances working closely with Customer Service Leaders, the Legal Director and external legal counsel (if the Legal Director confirms it’s needed);
- Working with the Legal Director to put in place processes, training, precedents to reduce complaints and claims and upskill Customer Services;
Data Protection Matters
- Following appropriate training, and with appropriate supervision from the DPO (and working alongside the DPO) dealing with erasure requests, subject access requests, requests for personal data by law enforcement authorities, minor data breaches and Data Protection Impact Assessments and data protection provisions in contracts;
- Reviewing contracts that Sykes intends to enter into, supervised by the Legal Director;
Legal Procedures Policies and Training
- Working with the Legal Director to put in place procedures, policies and training, for the purposes of the legal well-being of Sykes becoming part of the day-to-day role of a confident and knowledgeable, from a legal perspective, Sykes team;
Legal Related Business as Usual Matters and Specific Projects
- Working with the Legal Director on BAU and specific projects that have a legal aspect to them.
Hybrid Working: Sykes Cottages are proud to support hybrid-working across the business with a mixture or remote and office working available and this will be discussed at interview