The Opportunity:At the heart of the design culture at Shutterstock, we are creatives that take pride in serving creatives. We get to do great user experience work here and believe in a collaborative working style where researchers, designers, product managers, and engineers work together to experiment and riff off each other’s curiosity. Our rapidly growing global team of diverse and talented researchers and designers are made up of fun and caring people who bring unique skill sets, perspectives, and personalities to a product team that respects autonomy and advocates for our customers.
We believe great products are built by deeply understanding our customers — who they are, what motivates them, why they behave the way they do, and what they think of our brand, our products, our services, and the overall market.
What we need:Shutterstock is on an amazing journey to pursue our vision beyond that of stock photography, video, and audio. We are building an intelligent, creative platform where our customers ideate, publish, distribute and measure the performance of their creative supported by bleeding edge technology and AI capabilities.
We need help dreaming up and building out some really cool products by understanding who our customers are, how they use those products, how to make the experience valuable, and win their hearts and minds. We are looking for a researcher who is strong in evaluative research methods, as well as has some generative research experience. A person who can help us understand if our ideas, concepts, and products in the market are not only usable but also are providing value to our customers. Someone who can also serve as the voice of the customer, act as a customer experience advocate, and help drive understanding and empathy for our customers.
The day to day
- Lead evaluative research sessions to validate design concepts or test the usability and satisfaction of prototypes, beta or live solutions (i.e. concept testing, moderated/unmoderated usability testing).
- Assist senior researchers in planning, recruiting, and sometimes running generative research initiatives.
- Synthesizing research findings with product designers and product managers to identify opportunities, patterns, and trends.
- Join workshops where design, product, research, and engineering teams will collaborate to clarify or come up with solutions together.
- Leverage analytics to understand What is happening to inform research work to understand the Why.
- Work with other researchers to maintain our research repository.
- Extensively post GIFs and emojis throughout Slack channels.
What does the first six months look like?
- Take the lead on running evaluative research sessions of our workflow tools.
- Take the lead on running evaluative research sessions of our e-commerce marketplace platform.
- Perform a heuristic evaluation of our current platform, competition, and new solutions.
- Perform a heuristic evaluation of our workflow tools, competition, and new solutions.
- Collaborate with other researchers to document our new research process.
- Coordinate with other research to create a set of templates for planning, recruiting, running, and documenting research sessions.
What you bring to the role:
- You have around 2 years or more of professional experience leading research initiatives across a range of products, services, workflows, and/or tools launched in consumer or business SaaS applications.
- You have around 2 years or more of professional experience running evaluative research initiatives on an e-commerce, marketplace, or similar platform.
- You are a proactive self-starter, comfortable with taking what is ambiguous and making it tangible by leveraging design thinking techniques using research and sense making methods.
- You have a strong portfolio that showcases your work, provides details of your process, explains your role on projects, and shows the impact of your work.