VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers - you - to join us as summer trainees.
Would you like to work on your Master's Thesis in our Sensor System Integration team? Join us - and let's make science work for hope next summer!
Our team works on hardware implementations of neuromorphic computing with high performance and ultra-low power consumption. We rely on CMOS as well as emerging nanodevices to provide optimal solutions for sensor data processing at the edge.
As a Master's Thesis Worker, you will get an opportunity to test and deepen your skills throughout the whole process of IC design from specifications to test measurements of fabricated chips. Your key goal will be to design and implement a control circuit for programming and readout of quasi-analog ferroelectric non-volatile memories.
What would your responsibilities as a Master's Thesis Worker include?
- Analysis of the system needs and drafting design specifications
- Exploration of suitable architectures through literature study and discussions with senior designers
- Drafting transistor-level schematics
- Design optimization through simulations and revisions
- Full-custom layout drawing
- Extraction of parasitic components and post-layout verification
- Design and assembly of a test board (PCB)
- Test measurements and analysis of the results
- Writing research reports and/or scientific articles in English.
Who we are looking for?
- You have completed most of the M.Sc. degree courses
- You have passed courses in analog integrated circuit design
- You have hands-on experience with Spice and Cadence tools.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Good at communicating and collaborating with people
- Proactive and creative
- Ambitious and willing to learn.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time - from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare - and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy - the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You'll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Sensor System Integration team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work-life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let's change the world for the better next summer.
The Master's Thesis Worker traineeships are paid and the duration is usually 6 - 8 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Jacek Flak, Jacek.Flak@vtt.fi, 040 53 66 934 on 19.01.2023 at 15:00-16:00 or 20.01.2023 at 14:00-15:00 (EET).
We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: Tietotie 3, Espoo
Apply between and
Employment type: Full-time, Fixed-term (Master's Thesis position)
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT - beyond the obvious