Los Angeles, CA
Join our award-winning God of War team
We are looking for a top-tier VFX artist and driven motivator that can lead our VFX team to create jaw dropping visuals that set the bar for the PlayStation console. This artist will partner with Art and Tech Leads to establish processes that will enable our VFX artists to create efficient effects that improve gameplay, help set the mood and feel of unique environments, and bring visceral epic experiences to life for our players.
As Lead Visual Effects Artist, you must possess the ability to collaborate well with the Art Director and Game Director to ensure the VFX team meets their vision for effects that are visually stunning while still meeting our performance targets. You will also demonstrate a depth of experience coordinating with other disciplines to get the most out of our current VFX toolkit, identify new tools and tech needed to enable VFX artists, and educate them on the best methods available to achieve outstanding VFX on PlayStation platforms. Do you have the creativity and drive to help us craft amazing industry-leading games that will set the PlayStation platform apart from the rest?
- Research, define, document, and maintain production pipelines, cutting edge processes, performance guidelines, and efficient workflows that the entire VFX team can adopt.
- Build comprehensive understanding of the current VFX art production pipelines, tools, and systems and identify any areas of improvement.
- Identify potential problems and work with the Engineering team to invent or build robust, quality practical technical implementations to solve them before they become bottlenecks.
- Interface directly with creative partners and liaise between team members to represent the team's abilities and concerns, build consensus, and drive collaborative projects forward.
- Work with partners in Production to prioritize and schedule tasks according to the needs of the project.
- Create visual VFX ranging from natural environmental effects, effects to punctuate game action, to effects for characters and their interaction with elements within the game world.
- Actively develop and improve skillset and abilities by staying aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages, and putting traditional art methods into practice.
- Traditional art and animation training and production experience. Strong technical abilities and knowledge of PBR systems.
- Maya (or 3d modeling package), Photoshop, Premiere, After FX experience. Working knowledge of current dynamics and Simulations packages (e.g. Houdini) is desirable.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, particle systems, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, texture/UV animation, UV layout, in-game and sprite animation, and material setup.
- Practice excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to VFX questions that have no prescribed answers.
- Experience driving optimization, performance, profiling, and automation efforts.
- Prior experience mentoring and educating more junior artists in areas of expertise and instilling standard methodologies.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant curriculum or equivalent skillset.
- Minimum 7 years game industry or related experience.
- Current-generation AAA video game platform experience with two or more published titles. To ensure a wide perspective on potential methods, familiarity with multiple engines and toolsets is desirable.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.