Los Angeles, CA
Join our award-winning God of War team
Santa Monica Studio is looking for a Senior Visual Effects Artist to create jaw dropping visuals that set the bar for the PlayStation. This artist will work side-by-side with our Art and Tech teams to build effects that improve gameplay, help set the mood and feel of unique environments, and bring visceral epic experiences to life for our players.
As a Senior Visual Effects Artist, you must possess the ability to collaborate well with the Art Director and Game Director to develop VFX content that is visually beautiful and works within our performance targets. You must also demonstrate a depth of experience working with other disciplines to get the most out of our current VFX toolkit as well as help identify new tools and tech needed to enable VFX artists to create outstanding VFX on PlayStation platforms. Do you have the creativity and drive to help us craft amazing industry-leading games that will set the PlayStation platform apart from the rest?
- Create visual effects across all areas of the game, ranging from natural environmental effects, effects to punctuate game action, to effects for characters and their interaction with elements within the game world.
- Build comprehensive knowledge of the VFX art production pipelines, tools, and systems associated with the creation of VFX content.
- Work closely with the Art and Game Directors to deliver their vision of the effects as they pertain to the game pillars.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of the game’s design to support communication and allow better participation in discussions.
- Create, document, and maintain VFX and shader libraries for other artists to utilize.
- Resolve an assortment of complex artistic/VFX development issues for other VFX artists as well as other team members.
- Actively develop and improve skillset and abilities by staying aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages, and putting traditional art methods into practice.
- Demonstrate strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing as expected according to schedules, objectives, and overall project goals.
- Traditional art and animation training and production experience.
- Strong technical abilities and knowledge of PBR systems.
- Maya (or 3d modeling package) and Photoshop. Premiere/After FX experience is desirable. Working knowledge of current dynamics and Simulations packages is desirable.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, particle systems, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, texture/UV animation, UV layout, in-game and sprite animation, material setup, and engine parameters/optimizations is desirable.
- Practice excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to VFX questions that have no prescribed answers.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of optimization, performance, and profiling considerations.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant curriculum or equivalent skillset.
- Minimum 5 years game industry or related experience.
- Current-generation AAA video game platform experience with two or more published titles is desirable.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.