AI - Data Management / Science LeadUnited States - Texas - Houston
Job ID 104571BRJob category IT&S Group Relocation availableNegotiableCityHoustonCountryUnited StatesTravel required Yes - up to 10%
Job profile summary:Role Synopsis
BP has embarked on an ambitious plan to modernize and transform using digital technologies to drive efficiency, effectiveness and new business models. You are the Data Management/Science Lead, responsible for enabling, advising and leading the delivery of a data management service in a specific domain.
You will promote data standards and resolve data management, migration, integration and data quality issues. You will also support delivery of business and operational data management strategies and implement improvements in data management practices whilst making sure we comply with data standards and guidelines.
Using data and information analytical tools, you will help to develop prototypes through the identification and extraction of the right data and manipulation of the data into formats. This may involve creating specialist interfaces, transformation routines, or data science algorithms which can be used by data scientists. You will operate in a dynamic and delivery-focused environment, with the resources of one of the world's most forward-thinking IT departments and leading IT vendors at your fingertips.
First IT&S Posting
At IT&S, all the roles are within Chapters. While your role will continue to remain within the Chapter, your initial activities described below may change over time.
This role will serve as an AI Data Engineering Lead
- You will work as a senior member within a team to support custom built AI solutions to BP colleagues and external users with data and machine learning pipeline solutions utilising cloud AI and big data platform services.
- This role is part of a team that is incubating new AI technology within Upstream Digital
- You will work closely with AI architect, Data Engineer, Microsoft AI Blackbelts and the business to deliver solutions.
- You will work within an agile delivery squad
Team: You will support the adoption of industry data standards and the development of domain-specific standards, where appropriate. You will help to deliver data management strategies, including the identification and implementation of continuous data management improvements. You will deliver data requirement definitions including identification of gold data sources, appropriate methods of data retrieval and provisioning, security, etc. to support the development of data ingestion and provisioning pipelines.
Data: You will design and support the development of data transformation routines using business rules and data science methods and tools to provide data scientists with new, enhanced data products for advanced analytics. You will support the development and maintenance of domain-specific data models, in collaboration with business data experts. You will also design and develop methods and techniques to ensure data integrity throughout the data lifecycle (e.g. addressing data at rest and in transit).
Technology: You will build awareness of internal and external technology developments, managing the delivery of process and system improvements, identifying and implementing continuous improvement plans for Data Management & Data Science and ensuring best practice is shared across the team.
Relationships: You will develop and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders, providing advanced data management knowledge to support delivery of business and operational data management strategies. You will also provide informal mentoring/training to junior members of the team. You will support the definition of data quality requirements, methods, and tools to enable the continuous measurement and management of data quality.
Safety and Compliance: The safety of our people and customers is our highest priority. You will champion a culture of operational safety and help ensure our architectures, designs and processes enhance this while improving our digital security.
- You’ll have a degree-level education and/or equivalent relevant work experience.
- You’ll be a practitioner of data management/data science techniques.
- Good understanding of / and exposure to common data science methods and techniques (e.g. ML, regression analysis), tools (e.g. Python, R, Jupyter notebooks), platforms (e.g. DataBricks, Azure ML, AWS SageMaker) and cloud cognitive services (e.g. NLP, Vision)
- Programming/Scripting Languages supporting data science solutions e.g. Spark SQL, SQL, T-SQL, Java, Scala, Python, PowerShell, R, Ruby.
- The Data Engineer is proficient in distributed computing principles and familiar with key big data architectures, and has a broad experience across a set of data stores (e.g., HDFS, Azure Data Lake Store, Azure Blob Storage, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Apache HBase, Azure DocumentDB), messaging systems (e.g., Apache Kafka, Azure Event Hubs, Azure IoT Hub) and data processing engines (e.g., Apache Hadoop, Azure Data Bricks, Azure Data Lake Analytics, Apache Storm, Azure HDInsight).
- Business Process Improvement
- Data Analysis
- Data Management
- Information Management
- Requirements Definition and Management
- IT Governance
- Relationship Management
- Data Design
- Information Assurance
- Quality Assurance
- Business Analysis
- Digital Innovation
- You always empower people – encouraging positive team morale and ensuring that every team member with expertise has the power to make decisions, at the lowest possible level.
- You always get the basics right, from quality development conversations to recognition and ongoing performance feedback. You can develop, coach, mentor and inspire others.
- You comply with BP's Code of Conduct and ensure your team does too. You also demonstrate strong leadership of BP's Leadership Expectations and Values & Behaviours.
- You create an environment where people listen and can speak openly about the good, the bad, and the ugly, so that everyone can understand and learn.
- You embrace a culture of change and agility, evolving continuously, adapting to our changing world.
- You are an effective team player, naturally looking beyond your own area/organizational boundaries to consider the bigger picture and/or perspective of others, and building trust-based relationships with leaders and employees across IT&S and BP.
- You are self-aware and seek input from others on your impact and effectiveness.
- You apply judgment and common sense at scale – you use insight and good judgment to deliver commercially sound, efficient and pragmatic decisions and solutions and to respond to situations as they arise.
- Cultural fluency – you operate across cultural boundaries with sensitivity.
- You have expertise in data-related technologies/languages (e.g. Python, R, etc.).
- Relevant techniques may include statistical and data mining algorithms and machine learning methods such as rule induction, artificial neural networks, genetic algorithms and automated indexing systems.
- You have significant relevant experience in a business analysis and consulting role.
- You have practitioner experience in software engineering roles and methods.
- You bring sound stakeholder management experience.
In IT&S we are committed to providing flexible working arrangements. Agile or flexible working encompasses a wide range of working options, which help people to achieve their full potential. It is more than ad-hoc home working or part time working; it’s about role modelling BP’s IT technology to get a job done, in a way that works well for both the business and our employees.
About BP:We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
BP is one of the world's leading international oil and gas companies. Through our work we provide customers with fuel for transportation, energy for heat and light, lubricants to keep engines moving, and the petrochemicals products used to make everyday items as diverse as paints, clothes and packaging. Our objective is to create value for shareholders and supplies of energy for the world in a safe and responsible way. We strive to be a safety leader in our industry, a world-class operator, a responsible corporate citizen and a good employer.
Our Upstream segment is responsible for our activities in oil and natural gas exploration, field development and production, and midstream transportation, storage and processing.
At the same time, we’re investing in the talents of the 20,000 people who work to make these activities a reality.