Data Scientist - Content - HBO Max
United States - New York - New York
Advertising, Cable/Broadcast Television Networks, Games – Development & Publishing, Online Content/Services
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
Posting Job Description
Build the Future of Entertainment
HBO Max is WarnerMedia’s direct-to-consumer (DTC) offering debuting in May 2020. With over 10,000 hours of curated premium content anticipated at launch, HBO Max will offer powerhouse programming for everyone in the home, bringing together HBO, a robust slate of new original series, key third-party licensed programs and movies, and fan favorites from WarnerMedia’s rich library, including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more.
Our DTC team is laying the foundation for HBO Max, and we need highly motivated, uniquely skilled, and technically agile experts across a variety of disciplines to accomplish things that have never been done before.
As a Content Data Scientist on the HBO Max Data & Analytics team, you will join the exciting Content Intelligence & Metadata team to translate our programming and content executives' business requirements into analytical solutions. You will design and execute end-to-end analytical solutions within a cloud-based analytic infrastructure, partner with data engineering and analytic teams in transforming the insights into actionable endpoints, carrying the data science or analytical solution to production and managing the publication of the endpoints for downstream consumption. You also be involved in delivering the insights back to the creative business executives.
- Gather business requirements from our content, programming and product executives and translate those strategies, business questions into KPI's, data structures and analytical solutions to help them make their content acquisition, development, programing and scheduling decisions.
- Work with data scientists and solution analysts to understand the business problems, proactively design intuitive data structures and create the best-suited data structures for modeling and analysis.
- Design and execute multi-disciplinary analytic end points in a cloud-based data science infrastructure and co-ordinate the update/refresh cycles across different functional area.
- Work with technology data engineers to facilitate publishing of analytic end points in an enterprise data lake as well as other stakeholder platforms.
- Evaluate and facilitate the integration of additional sources of data that can enhance analytic capability, continually identify and fix issue that could enforce robust analytic process.
- Assist in identifying and solving data quality concerns in analytic data transformation pipeline.
- Work with the content intelligence team to enrich and improve our content metadata.
- Maintain and own all workflow documents up to date.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, engineer, mathematics or equivalent experience.
- 3-4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience translating business needs & stakeholder questions into analytic frameworks.
- Data wrangler extraordinaire (Python, R, SQL) who can bring analytical rigor to help guide data driven decision making.
- Experience with AWS Solutions (S3, EMR, Glue, Sagemaker, Lambda, Step functions, Cloud Watch, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of relational and non-relational databases (Snowflake, Redshift, DynamoDB)
- Experience developing statistical models, advanced analytics and business intelligence.
- Bias towards action & a willingness to iterate and improve methodologies over time.
- Prizes pragmatically delivering value over analytical idealism.
- Interest in shows & movies and understanding how & why viewers engage in content.
- Experience building big data product and production pipelines to support data and analytic functions.
- Familiar with various analytical and data science techniques and implement models and analyses developed with these techniques into production environment.
- Flexibility and comfort working in a dynamic and some remote organization with minimal documentation and process.
- Strong problem solving and conceptual thinking skills.
- Entertainment or media industry a BIG plus.
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands