Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
Embedded in a worldwide network, Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, and Long Beach, California, the focus is on Powertrain including eDrive Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division. The team in Seattle powers the Cloud for Mercedes globally. The Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad, California completes the picture. Together, all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next mobility innovation for Mercedes-Benz customers around the world. They’re inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
In this role, you work in a group, located in Long Beach, CA, which is focused on supporting the certification of On Board Diagnostics (OBD) systems to the standards set forth by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). As a Certification Engineer in this team, the person in this role works with colleagues in RD, AMG and VAN to complete OBD disclosures and applications, seeks CARB guidance and approval for new technologies. The Individual represents Mercedes-Benz in communications with CARB OBD staff located in EL Monte, CA regarding issues pertaining to current certifications, current and future regulations, In Use Topics and any other topics that require EPA guidance. The individual also represents Mercedes-Benz as required in discussions with SAE and other associations. As a member of this team, every interaction with CARB and every certification related task is held to the highest standard of compliance and integrity.
- Deliver comprehensive, correct and conforming OBD documentation to CARB
- Establish and maintain working relationships with CARB OBD Staff
- Provide guidance to colleagues at AMG, VAN and MBC on OBD issues
- Support the establishment the team as a center of expertise in US OBD Certification topics
- Establish a process driven culture that embraces continuous improvement
Skills and Requirements -
- - Minimum level of education required and required field of study:
Bachelor’s Degree – Mechanical or Automotive System Engineering
- Minimum skills required :
- Comprehensive knowledge of US OBD2 regulations (CARB 1968.2)
- Extensive previous experience in OBD Calibration or Certification
- Experience interacting with CARB on OBD issues
- Comprehensive knowledge of powertrain systems, including emissions control system functions
- Ability to think strategically and establish direction
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex topics in a clear and concise manor to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to lead by example and identify/implement change when beneficial
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus between multiple stakeholders
- Ability to act and perform under every circumstances with personal integrity
- Desire for continuous personal development and growth
- Combination of Degree and Years of experience acceptable (minimum) :
Bachelors + 7 yrs / Masters + 5 yrs/ PhD + 2 yrs
- Experience with chassis dyno and on-road emissions and fuel consumption testing
- Knowledge of powertrain emission control system functions and calibration processes
- Experience collaborating within a global network
- Knowledge of vehicle energy management systems including hybrid powertrains
- Experience with simulation and/or test data analysis tools
- German language skills
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Check out our open jobs here. Learn more about MBRDNA and connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce.
MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Field of activity:Research and Development incl. Design
DepartmentFule Economy Testing & Simulation