The Mechanical Engineering Department of KU Leuven has been active in industrial Computed Tomography for many years. The lab can rely on high-power 450keV and 225keV CT machines, and has built a strong network with industrial partners as well as with research partner across Europe and beyond. Moreover, the research group collaborates intensively with other KU Leuven research groups on e.g. Additive Manufacturing, micro-manufacturing, or materials science.This PhD vacancy is launched in the framework of the MetroFlex and xCTing projects, in whcih you will be collaborating with industry partners across Flanders and Europe (e.g. Materialise, Waygate technologies, VolumeGraphics, Asco, Novo Nordisk, and many more) as well as with various academic partners (RWTH Aachen, Fraunhofer IIS, University of Padova, ...).
First-time-right and zero-defect manufacturing of customized lot-size-one products are essential elements of the Industry 4.0 paradigm shift to reinforce Europe’s global leadership in manufacturing. X-ray Computed Tomography (CT) metrology has a key role to play in this transition, since it is the only known technology that can certify non-destructively the quality of internal complex structures, such as those produced by additive manufacturing or found in assemblies. Within your PhD project, you will be developing uncertainty models to enable reliable and traceable in-line XCT measurements. You will have access to an exclusive set of 10 training weeks organised by European industry and academic partners within the xCTing network, and collaborate regularly with 14 other PhD students recruited by these partners across Europe.
- You have a Master’s in Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
- You have a profound interest in developing yourself into an expert at the crossroad of X-ray physics, dimensional metrology and programming. You have demonstrable expertise in at least one of these disciplines.
- You like to work in a multidisciplinary and international team and show willingness to learn/explore innovative technologies and techniques.
- You have an analytical and creative mind set, take initiative, and are not afraid to address innovative ideas and new opportunities. You are interested in exploring these in collaboration with industry partners.
- You are fluent in English (both oral and written).
- A full-time PhD position in an internationally renowned research institute
- A competitive salary
- Multiple benefits (health insurance, access to university infrastructure and sports facilities, etc.)
- The opportunity to participate in international training weeks, conferences, and secondments
- The opportunity to collaborate with world-leading CT laboratories and companies