Safety & Reliability EngineerIndianapolis, IN
As a Safety & Reliability Engineer you will ensure that the safety and reliability attributes of our products are understood and that the risks arising from them are managed to an acceptable level. This role involves the integration of many areas of knowledge and expertise to create and support complex systems that enable reliable system operation under highly challenging conditions. In this position you will support our engineering products throughout their entire life cycle; working with Design, System, Service, and Airworthiness Engineers to ensure our products meet company, customer and regulatory requirements for the system safety and reliability.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
To ensure we continue to be pioneers of our industry, Rolls-Royce has a team of over 16,500 engineers around the globe. They include everyone from world experts in their field to those who manage hundreds of people and millions of pounds worth of investments. We recruit engineers at all levels and in a range of disciplines. And while we encourage specialization, we also offer freedom to cross-specialize and develop skills across a number of different areas.
- Serve as the Safety Lead (primary program/project lead) for Safety & Reliability during New Product Introduction. Demonstrates understanding of the acceptable means of compliance that may be used to support a new program or product.
- Understand the product's degradation and failure mechanisms, their associated consequences and the hazards to which they contribute. Develop and deploy models to characterize them using deterministic or probabilistic/data mining techniques.
- Assess new and derivative design solutions/architectures, product operation and maintenance practices to evaluate their impact on product safety and reliability. Develop and deploy models at component, system, asset and fleet levels in order to characterize the product's safety and reliability attributes. Support the associated part/function classification activities.
- Analyze and quantify risks associated with human-system interaction addressing human error and the hazards arising from errors committed by personnel and hazards to personnel arising from system malfunction, damage or features inherent in the design.
- Extract actionable insights from these analyses and generate improvement proposals in order to influence the product design, development and in-service management.
- Support product development and new product introduction phases through Safety & Reliability Engineering analysis and documentation (e.g. FHA, FMECA, SSA, TLD, safety class analysis, etc.)
- Confer with Safety & Reliability Engineering core and deployed staff, sharing openly in the exchange of ideas and drawing upon and contributing to the diverse technical backgrounds within the function. Lead and coach others with regard to safety & reliability tasks
Rolls-Royce is a Military Friendly Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Actuarial Science or Engineering and 5+years’ experience, or
- Masters degree in Mathematics, Actuarial Science or Engineering and 3+years’ experience
- In order to be considered for this opportunity, you must be a US Citizen or permanent resident
- Member of ASQ with CRE credentials
- Working knowledge in statistics, probability and reliability prediction
- An ability to apply logical, analytical and innovative thinking on a range of technical problems
- Technical experience in the deployment of Safety and/or Reliability engineering tools and methods
- Demonstrated multi-disciplinary collaboration and leadership skills, including facilitation and communication at the component, sub-system, and system level
Pioneer the next generation of innovation. Join us and you’ll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for its brilliance.
Beyond tomorrowWe are an equal opportunities employer. We’re committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we’ll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realize their full potential.
You can learn more about our global Diversity and Inclusion strategy here.
Relocation assistance will be provided if applicable
At Rolls-Royce we also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever
Closing date: November 30, 2020