Arup is a multi–disciplinary firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists, working across every aspect of the built environment. Together we help our clients solve their most complex challenges – turning exciting ideas into tangible reality as we strive to find a better way and shape a better world.
The RoleBased in London, the role involves responsibility for the day-to-day delivery and management of a range of projects, client contact, technical assurance, delivery to programme and budget. As part of your role you will work closely with other disciplines internally and externally
As a Senior Planner in this field you will assist in business development and work-winning, promote Arup in external markets, contribute to knowledge development and provide support to peers and junior colleagues. This will involve:
- Project management of small to medium sized development planning projects with technical support within project teams under the leadership of project director.
- Taking responsibility for meeting deadlines, managing project programs and for client deliverables.
- Managing the commercial aspects of projects, invoicing and monitoring project budget, spend vs forecast.
- Working and interacting with wider multi-disciplinary professional teams.
- Planning and designing for access by all transport modes, including within urban areas, public realm schemes and at major destinations and interchanges.
- Analysing, modelling and assessing future transport demands and network requirements.
- Preparing technical and non-technical reports and illustrative material including feasibility reports, options studies, transport assessments and input to environmental statements.
- Representing Arup and clients at meetings, presentations and stakeholder consultation events.
- The preparation of bids and associated material.
- Engaging with Arup colleagues to develop new techniques and initiatives and to support career development.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Typically, around 6-8 years’ experience in transport planning, modelling and design development for new development sites.
- Experience of project engagement with private / public sector clients;
- Demonstrable record of undertaking and managing the technical and delivery aspects of projects related to cities and development, with a range of complexity and fee budgets;
- Proficiency in data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- Proficiency in local highway network analysis areas (such as TRANSYT, PICADY, ARCADY, LINSIG, VISSIM).
- Working knowledge of DfT and Transport for London assessment and modelling guidance.
- Experience of UK Town & Country Planning and Environmental Impact Assessment processes and requirements.
- Experience of applying transport design guidance in a cities context (e.g. DMRB, Manual for Streets, cycling and bus design standards).
- Knowledge of successful travel planning techniques including measures to encourage walking, cycling and the use of public transport.
- Experience of engagement with local transport authorities, operators and the public.
- University degree/HNC in a relevant discipline (e.g. civil engineering, geography, economics, mathematics).
- Membership of a relevant professional institution (e.g. ICE, CIHT, CILT).
Desirable Skills & Experience
- A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. transport planning).
- Previous experience in a consultancy environment.
- Experience of working on projects in the London area.
- Knowledge of planning for walking, cycling, bus operations and public realm enhancements.
- Knowledge of developing solutions for walking and cycling infrastructure including identifying demands, design requirements and delivery mechanisms.
- Knowledge of developing bus-based solutions, including service planning and the design of bus facilities.
- Working towards an appropriate professional qualification in the transport industry.
Reward & BenefitsWe offer one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental well-being.
Shape your time with usHow can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a Carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours.
At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
What happens next?If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
If you have any questions or queries regarding this opportunity or the application process, please email Jamie.Harris@arup.com
Closing Date: 22/06/2019
Arup. Shaping a better world.