Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America, Inc. continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California since 1995, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the E-Mobility Group helps to shape the future of the North American market for hydrogen fuel cell and battery electric vehicles. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
Together, all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They’re inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Every new vehicle must also be designed to meet stringent Mercedes-Benz standards for durability. The Testing & Regulatory Affairs Division ensures that all standards and requirements are met for the US market.
Testing locations in the Long Beach, California and Ann Arbor, Michigan also function as liaisons to both Mercedes-Benz in Germany and to government regulatory bodies in the US, including the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resource Board.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
Provide test engineer expertise for the TechCenter to invest, setup, execute and deliver vehicle testing strategies, methods, procedures, data, analysis and results by means of CAN/CCP/LIN/FlexRay data logging, OBD Diagnostic monitoring in testing areas such as but not limited to Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, NVH, fuel economy to project customers for testing projects involving Mercedes-Benz passenger car, van and AMG test vehicles in the United States.
- Perform vehicle testing for Automated Driving and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems. Analyze data and summarize results. Document, quantify, and report results to customer department and other international sites
- Research US-specific traffic environment and conditions related to Automated Driving and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems. Understand and be prepared to work in the complex regulatory environment around automated vehicle testing
- Maintain test vehicles and measurement equipment, calibrate sensors, write work-orders, and perform sensor replacement and vehicle updates
- Support the TechCenter engineering teams with NVH, Electric/Electronic Integration, and other vehicle testing as needed
- Actively work on process development and continuous improvement
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in Mechanical Engineering
- 2+ years of relevant experience
- Project Management Skills: Ability to operate in projects in all phases from planning to execution and reporting
- Familiarity with common measurement and diagnostic tools such as Vector CANalyzer, as well as ability to analyze and interpret test and diagnostic data from a vehicle system.
- Analytic or systems engineering knowledge: Familiarity with troubleshooting of CAN based vehicle systems in order to identify and report issues for analysis of failure root causes to evaluate and guide solutions actions of test vehicle and prototype vehicle problems
- Interpersonal and Team skills: Experience in intercultural environment, German language skills favored to read and understand project requirements and development vehicle documentation often only available in German
- Automotive Knowledge: Knowledge of automobile technology, vehicle electrical and onboard communication architecture, assembly structure, modules and parts. Knowledge of vehicle functions
- Organization and leadership skills: Ability to organize logistics, data, parts and workshop workflows within the TechCenter as well as with the customer departments and experts at Daimler in Germany. Ability to support workshop personnel with advanced troubleshooting procedures
- German language skills, written and spoken
- Experience in engineering design and development field of minimum 6 months, preferably in automotive testing industry
- Master's degree with emphasis in Mechatronics, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
Other licenses or certifications required:
- Valid Driver’s License with minimum three year driving record that meets eligibility of the State of California AV licensing requirements: no at-fault injury accidents, no alcohol/drug-related driving/operating convictions, and maximum one violation point
- Ability to test drive vehicles
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work / life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Field of activity:IT/Telecommunications
DepartmentOverall Vehicle Testing & LB Site Lead