- Department: Professional Services
- Location: Exton, PA, USA
- Country: United States of America
Want to Work for a Different Type of Software Company? Join the Guidewire team.
At Guidewire, a combination of good working conditions, an excellent market opportunity, a rational and meritocratic company culture, quality software products, and a long history of careful hiring have allowed us to create an enviable work environment. Business Insider ranked Guidewire as the #1 tech employer in Silicon Valley for two years in a row. Find out why.
We live by our core values every day.
At Guidewire, we value people at every stage of their career and try to minimize those barriers for collaboration. It is reflected in how we communicate with each other company-wide and on projects. Every engineer and consultant brings something to the table whether in the earlier years of their career or after a long and successful progression. We strive for integrity in all that we do: truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other. As we grow, our commitment to integrity has only increased.
We prize clear, rational and collaborative communications on our projects that is plainly based on logic, total commitment to quality, and to making decisions based on factual evidence. You would be working on a team that is comprised of professional equals with a minimum of hierarchy. We don’t place high importance on titles; it’s more about what you do.
We know who we are. Guidewire is a software company.
Our customers are insurance companies, and insurance software is surprisingly complex, difficult to get right, and actually a lot of fun to work on. Demand for our software is on the rise, and we are growing to meet the needs of the market.
What will I be doing?Guidewire is offering a 12 week (mid-to-late May to Mid-August) Summer internship program in 2019 to a select few applicants. The program is designed to give active Undergraduate college students, or those registered in a masters’ program, an opportunity to write software and interact with others in a real-world business environment.
You will be part of our Professional Services division in our Exton, PA office, where you will work with a dedicated mentor and other fellow interns on a software project. You will experience what it’s like to be part of an Agile development team.
Guidewire is an Agile development shop: we do iterative development, break features into stories, work in priority order, encourage pair programming and more. Our focus is to make the highest quality software for our customers and deliver it on-time. We spend a significant amount of time focusing on software development as a craft. If you intern here, you will collaborate with teammates, mentors and stakeholders while learning what it means to be a professional consultant developer.
Requirements.Our hiring is as methodical, rational and stringent as our development standards…
To be considered you should be an undergraduate student of a BSc in Computer Science or studying for an MSc from a third level or higher education institution. We care most about your critical thinking skills and technical talent. However, experience and skills with the following will be helpful:
- Programming in Java, or any modern OO programming language
- Algorithms and object-oriented design
- Web-based applications and technologies
- Agile, Test-driven development
Other types of things that we like to cultivate –
- Curiosity based on genuine love of technology and solving tough technical problems
- Accountability based on an earnest desire to do what is expected without prompting
- Kindness and respect for your fellow teammates.
- Join us at the time when we are building the team in Exton into a world-class software consulting and services center. Each individual has the opportunity to make an impact on the business and processes.
- The mission then translates into core values that we live by daily: We value integrity in everything we do; an atmosphere of collegiality – we help each other to ensure customer success and operate as a meritocracy; and rationality – making decisions based on factual evidence.
- Work with an enterprise-class software product company deploying small, elite teams to solve complex problems in an Agile environment. Insurance core systems must be capable of supporting thousands of concurrent users, millions of transactions, and integration to complex enterprise IT environments. Moreover, they must have the complete reliability and performance required of financial systems-of-record.