Job DescriptionShare On
DuPont has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Production Engineer at the METHOCELTM production facility located in Midland, Michigan. As part of the Nutrition& Biosciences business, this growing cGMP facility produces industry-leading cellulosic products for the pharmaceutical excipient and food markets and is a key asset to business results. The successful candidate to this role will be passionate about applying technical, interpersonal, and leadership skills to safely produce the highest quality products in service to our customers.
The Production Engineer reports to the Plant Manager and is part of a high-performance team, serving as an influential leader and technical resource to optimize plant operations, resolve plant problems, and enable safe and efficient production of high-quality products. This role develops process expertise and then coaches, advises, and assists the operations team on day-to-day issues and opportunities related to safety, quality, throughput, reliability, and cost. The individual is key in developing the appropriate short interval control metrics, operating discipline, training, and work processes to maximize value to the business in a safe, environmentally friendly manner, while meeting and exceeding customer expectations. Another key aspect of the role is utilizing process and engineering knowledge, coupled with input from other business subject matter experts, to identify, prioritize, and assist in the execution of plant improvement projects to increase performance via equipment and process control optimization. This role at times will also serve as the manufacturing representative for capital projects to install new capabilities and/or add capacity at the facility. A continuous improvement mindset and toolbox (MAIC, LEAN) are important attributes for success in the role.
Influential leadership is required of this position in the form of championing adherence to the life critical safety standards, strong procedure use, and time spent in the field observing worker behavior and working with operations and maintenance personnel. This role will also lead root-cause investigations in response to unplanned events, and with their cross-functional teams, propose and implement strong corrective actions to prevent recurrence. At Midland METHOCELTM, we pride ourselves on being purposeful in fostering and developing leaders and empowering our workforce to make decisions with the customer in mind.
- Understands all applicable process technology, equipment and control technology. Works with plant personnel and technology subject matter experts, process R&D, and technical services to optimize operations to meet customer needs and business and plant goals. (Environmental, health& safety, quality, regulatory, reliability, throughput, and cost)
- Participates when required in advanced troubleshooting and coaches others to learn these skills. Ensures findings are documented in plant operating discipline for future usage.
- Provides leadership and direction in the day-to-day decision making for the operating area of responsibility. Consistently demonstrates strong ownership and encourages this in the plant culture through a continual commitment to excellence.
- As required participates on and leads teams in his/her area of accountability.
- Networks with other engineers on site and within the multi-national business to leverage knowledge on plant operations and technologies.
- Ensures most effective technology is understood and utilized.
- Understands and applies continuous improvement methodologies (LEAN/6σ) to enhance plant operations.
- Works with plant process control coordination to ensure process control is optimized in the facility.
- Supports plant roles in procedure usage, creation, reviews, updates and approvals.
- Works with the plant team and quality coordinator to continuously improve product quality performance and to meet and exceed requirements of ISO 9001:2015 and FSSC 22000.
- Utilizes plant information systems to gather data for troubleshooting and streamline tasks for various roles.
- Diagnoses and documents the root causes of asset utilization losses for tracking in global systems.
- Assists with implementation of all aspects of process safety including process hazard analysis, layers of protection analysis, and loss prevention principle application.
- Utilizes statistical analysis methods to produce data based decisions and results.
- Leads and participates in root cause investigations (RCI) for unplanned events that meet standardized criteria.
- Provide training in responsible area as process SME to technical staff and operations as needed. Serve as the technical subject matter expert for operator learner review boards as part of the operations training system.
- Works with R&D and technical services to develop and qualify novel products in the production facility that create value-added differentiation in the marketplace.
- Part of plant on-call rotation.
Job QualificationsRequired and Preferred Qualifications:
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Engineering is required. Chemical or Mechanical preferred.
- Skilled in the use of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) required.
- 2 yrs of engineering experience in a manufacturing and/or design capacity preferred.
- Experience in continuous improvement methodologies (eg. Six Sigma, LEAN, etc) preferred.
- Experience with Aspen IP21, ABB 800xA, SAP, and VBA are strong assets, but training will be provided.
- Strong technical, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills are required to be successful in this job.
Ingredients make up the food we eat, the beverages we drink, and the supplements and medicines we take. But what makes some ingredients fresher, tastier, and more sustainable than others? It’s what’s inside that matters. Open the door to DuPont Nutrition& Biosciences and you’ll see a team of solvers, providing the most innovative solutions in the food and pharmaceutical excipients industries to build a healthier planet. But what truly sets us apart are the ingredients you can’t see—our consumer insights, breadth of research, and scientific capabilities.
The right people make all the difference. Come and make a difference as part of the diverse, high-performing team at Midland METHOCELTM!
About DuPontFor additional information on our unbridled commitment to deliver essential innovations that enrich people's lives, enable sustainable development and foster human potential for generations to come.
Please access the following link to better understand & appreciate DuPont's Journey. Coupled with core values and excellent compensation & benefits... Together, we're turning possibilities into real world answers that help humanity prosper! Apply Now
DuPont is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search or apply for a position, please visit our Accessibility Page for Contact Information.
For US Applicants: See the “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” poster at: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
For our U.S. Affirmative Action Policy, click here.